Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush and milk storage

Default Thrush and milk storage

I have to leave my 13 week old for the first time this week
    Fortunately he'll be with daddy and I shouldn't be gone for more than an hour. I'm having a skin biopsy.

I pumped just under 2 ounces for the baby to have if he really needs it. I don't expect he'll need it because I'll feed him before I leave and it is the one time of day that he tends to take a break from nursing,
    and sleep. I've been taking Diflucan for thrush for about 2 weeks. I don't seem to have any symptoms today. The baby still has white patches in his mouth and is taking oral nystatin. If my husband doesn't need to feed the baby this milk, is it ok to freeze it for another use?

While I'm asking....DS has never had a bottle, and I'd prefer not to give him one. Should DH use a cup? Do I need to get a particular kind of cup?

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Default Re: Thrush and milk storage

I don't think it would be a problem since my doc said fluconazole is safe to take while you're BFing so I cant imagine it's unsafe to go through in the milk...so why different if frozen? I'm not a dr though so maybe safe to ring just in case.

As for babies using bottles, not sure what to tell you there. My son uses bottles to have expressed breastmilk when I'm having a nap (I express quite frequently as I have an abundant supply so this is no problem) and he goes right back to the breast just fine. As long as he doesn't have more than one or two bottlefeeds then there shouldn't be any confusion, but some babies don't take to the bottle so it all depends on the baby really.

Good luck hun
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Oops, I should have been more clear about my question. I think the thrush is mostly gone from my nipples, and I wouldn't want to give him the milk in a few months and have the thrush come back. Does the milk get thrush-y???

Big Brother born 2/2009

It depends who you ask. I got different answers from different people (all LC's or doctors). Some said go ahead and freeze it...others said no way...unless i wanted to risk reinfection.

What I did was freeze it at first, because it was the only extra milk I had, for emergency use only (ie I couldn't be there to produce for some horrible reason). I labelled it thrush milk. Once I got a little extra non-thrush milk stored up I threw the thrush milk out.

Yeast (the cause of thrush) is not killed by freezing, only inactivated, so it could reinfect your LO when you feed the milk in the future. I personally didn't want to risk it since thrush is so painful.

As for the cup I was told that a shot glass sized cup worked best....or one of those little medication cups. Check out dr newmans website for tips on how to do it....I never did get the hang of it. Other options are a spoon or dropper.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    What I did was freeze it at first, because it was the only extra milk I had, for emergency use only (ie I couldn't be there to produce for some horrible reason). I labelled it thrush milk. Once I got a little extra non-thrush milk stored up I threw the thrush milk out.

Yeast (the cause of thrush) is not killed by freezing, only inactivated, so it could reinfect your LO when you feed the milk in the future. I personally didn't want to risk it since thrush is so painful.
    Same experience here.

And I'd suggest feeding with a dropper as well. Or a syringe.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

That's exactly what I will do since I don't have a stash built up either. And I'll have my DH us a syringe if he needs to feed him because a cup seems too complicated. Thanks ladies!

Big Brother born 2/2009

My son had thrush about two months ago. I work and pump for him. I fed him the "thrush milk" while he was still being treated and didn't freeze it. I think I read scalding the milk will help kill the thrush. I scald my milk before I freeze it anyway because of having a lipase issue in the past.

Here is a huge thread on scalding.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Jennifer, I almost suggested that but wasn't sure. I knew it worked for Lipase but thrush is such a nasty animal.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

If thrush symptoms are gone does that mean thrush is gone? When is it safe? DS did not need the milk so I'm keeping it for emergencies. I'm so tired of putting vinegar wash, grapefruit seed extract and APNO on my nipples after every feeding, yet I'm worried it will come back if I stop. Also, does anyone know how long ds should take nystatin? I was just planning to finish the bottle. He still has some white patches in his mouth. I have no faith in his pediatrician's office, they seem clueless about this. There are only a few doses left, maybe a day or two. DS hates it and I believe it fills his belly and makes him less interested in eating, so I would hesitate to ask for more.

Big Brother born 2/2009

Please keep in mind that this is only my own personal experience and not the advice of a medical professional

I did not have luck with nystatin for my daughter. I had to use gentian violet. You can get it from the pharmacey but you have to ask for it. It stains really badly. I put it in my daughers mouth with a q-tip once a day for a week and the thrush was gone. You can also use it on your nipples the same way.

As for how long to treat. I was told that you should treat for one week more after the symptoms are gone.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school