Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time feedings 7mo every 1.5-2hrs..yikes!

Default Night time feedings 7mo every 1.5-2hrs..yikes!

Hi ladies

Not sure if this is a BF question or a lack of sleep question so I have posted in both areas.

Our 7 mo was EBF until he turned 6mths & has taken well to solids having lunch and dinner as well as BF.

I nurse him first thing in the morning and before he goes to bed at night plus I offer him at least 2 more during the day although lately he doesn't really seem to want to take these. I always offer him BF when he wakes and then in between he takes solids.

He is weighing 8.3kgs now and was born at 3.2kg.

The challenge we have is night wakings. They are as frequent as when he was a new born and have never changed, with the exception of the first BF he wakes for at night. Eg I put him to sleep around 7 and he will go about 3-4 hrs without waking for his next feed. There after it's every 1.5-2hrs all night

It's tiring, but at least he would go straight back to sleep until this week where he has lots of trouble going back to sleep and needs to be rocked back into slumber and he cries at night now.

We semi co-sleep, mostly he is in the cot right up against our bed and sometimes during the night he sleeps with us depending on how tired I am and the last wake time before morning he is in with us also. When my husband is on the night shift LO is mostly in bed with me . He doesn't seem to sleep any better with or without us.

I have the Elizabeth Pantley books and have used lots of the ideas to get him to sleep and nap etc.

The nights are really hard work. I would like to be able to teach him that nights are for sleeping not eating

Has any got suggestions on what we could do to extend his night time wakings that have worked?

I feel like we are making backwards "progress".

Default Re: Night time feedings 7mo every 1.5-2hrs..yikes!

My initial thought on reading this is that 7 months is kind of young to go so long without frequent feedings in the daytime. It sounds kind of like the days and nights are reversed, could you get him to drink more bm in the day in the hopes he will drink less at night? If you think he might be too full from solids, can you offer bm before solids during the day or scale back on solids altogther?

My second thought--could teething be an issue? My Lo wakes up way more frequently at night when she is actively teething. She tends to sleep longer stretches once the teeth in question have broken through. We have not "sleep trained" or night weaned here yet, LO still wakes about 2 times a night (more if teething) and she is almost a year old. Hang in there, more (and probably better!) advice coming soon!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I feel like he has night and day mixed up too when it comes to feeds which has been his pattern for many months now.

Yes, I agree the day time frequency of BF is not much at all....heres the example for today he had a BF at 7am, 11.30 and then no more BF until he just woke up from his nap at 4pm. He had a snack at 9am & fruit at midday (he didn't want his lunch solids today) and that's it so far.

I am this week as while the frequent wakings were tough, now he can't self settle after the feeds.

The first 2 weeks we introduced solids for dinner he had extended the night time feeds by 3-4hrs but has reverted back to 2 hrly feeds for the past 3 weeks after 10/11pm.

No sign of teeth but he has gnawed on everything and anything since he was 3mo to which everyone says "oh look, he's teething!":but if so, I can't see/feel anything on his gums.

I might cut out lunch time solids for a while and see if this will help level out the feedings. I want to keep the dinner solids as this is the time he does sleep really well after a BF with me before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*designerfish View Post
    I feel like he has night and day mixed up too when it comes to feeds which has been his pattern for many months now.

Yes, I agree the day time frequency of BF is not much at all....heres the example for today he had a BF at 7am, 11.30 and then no more BF until he just woke up from his nap at 4pm. He had a snack at 9am & fruit at midday (he didn't want his lunch solids today) and that's it so far.

I am this week as while the frequent wakings were tough, now he can't self settle after the feeds.

The first 2 weeks we introduced solids for dinner he had extended the night time feeds by 3-4hrs but has reverted back to 2 hrly feeds for the past 3 weeks after 10/11pm.

No sign of teeth but he has gnawed on everything and anything since he was 3mo to which everyone says "oh look, he's teething!":but if so, I can't see/feel anything on his gums.

I might cut out lunch time solids for a while and see if this will help level out the feedings. I want to keep the dinner solids as this is the time he does sleep really well after a BF with me before bed.
    sounds like a plan! could your baby be too distractable also? that might be a problem for nursing less during the day. check out this page: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

my LO was the same way with teeth--and she didn't cut her first tooth until close to 9 months. but when she was "actively teething" she would drool nonstop, be more irritable, have looser stools, cry out in pain if i pushed on her gums, and ate better at night and was more fussy at the breast during the day (like she was more aware of her pain during feeding since she was more awake, less so at night). if you have lots of these indicators, you might try dosing with some ibueprofen an hour before feeding, or giving a cold teether and see if that helps any?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for the link! I read up on this site too.

I am with him all day as I am a stay at home mom but will really focus for the next week on getting him to BF as much as possible during the day.

Gotta run, he's backwards crawling and has managed to come off the mat and is now "sweeping" the tiles with his belly and blowing raspberries on the floor

Default Re: Frequent night time wakings in 7 mo

Have you noticed any teeth coming in? He could very well be teething. Also, is he working on a milestone (crawling, walking etc)? If yes, he could be practicing in his sleep and this could be what is waking him up.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

So how many total times is he nursing in a 24-hour period?

At first blush, it sounds like he's reverse cycling. The number of times he's being nursed during the day don't sound like very much to me, but maybe my daughter nursed more during the day. I wonder if you nursed more during the day (or offered more?) and always offered to nurse before solids, if he might sleep more at night?

All that being said, my DD reverse cycled around this age. It's just the way it goes sometimes. Co-sleeping can help with your sanity.

FWIW, my DD is 14 months old and woke up 11 times between 11 pm and 3 am last night.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    So how many total times is he nursing in a 24-hour period?

At first blush, it sounds like he's reverse cycling. The number of times he's being nursed during the day don't sound like very much to me, but maybe my daughter nursed more during the day. I wonder if you nursed more during the day (or offered more?) and always offered to nurse before solids, if he might sleep more at night?

All that being said, my DD reverse cycled around this age. It's just the way it goes sometimes. Co-sleeping can help with your sanity.

FWIW, my DD is 14 months old and woke up 11 times between 11 pm and 3 am last night.
    The last 2 days I have BF more during the day even when he doesn't request it. (I got the some suggestion from the BF posting) I just keep offering and this seems to have extended his night feeds a little more. eg last night LO was in bed at 9pm (late due to easter dinner at family) then woke at midnight BF (he ate at 7pm so this was 5 hrs with feed) then at 3am BF, 5.30am he woke up and I was too tired to rock him back to sleep so just BF'd but he probably could have lasted without it.

Overall though, much better than the previous few weeks.

Getting "nervous looks" from family and friends here though as everyone expects that LO should be on solids at this stage and had a tough time yesterday explaining my strategy. Even though I increased the BF's he still ate all his lunch and dinner solids!!!

Thank you for the suggestion & support.

I hear ya girl! Mine will be 1 in three weeks and we JUST got our nighttime situation under control. He pretty much did the same exact thing you described from about 4 months up until almost 11months. My first was a breeze compared to this guy and I've been completely at a loss!

I don't know if it will work for you too, but here's what we did - we put him on schedule for nursing (it's been a challenge, but it seems to be working so far and I'm absolutely AMAZED at the difference it's made in his happiness, mainly because everyone is finally getting some sleep!); he gets to nurse twice in the morning, twice in the afternoon, and he gets a bottle (I work evenings) of expressed before bed at 7:30. After that he's on his own until 3am. The first few nights he would wake around 10 or 11 and sort of fuss a bit, but went right back down within 10 minutes or so, as long as he didn't see or hear me or my husband... if he did, the s**t would hit the fan, we would have to nurse him or he'd totally freak out. But it's been 4 weeks now and he consistently stays asleep every night now from 7:30 until around 3ish. I nurse at 3 and then not again till we wake up for the day, usually around 6:30 or 7.

I was really amazed at how well this worked. I was reading all the books on how to get your baby to sleep well through the night, etc, but eventually I realized that I should have been reading more about how to night-wean, or at least partially night wean, lol. Once everyone understood what the schedule was, and that there was no deviating from it, there was little to no upset throughout the night. We're still working on daytime, but at least we're doing it on a good night's sleep!

Keep your chin up! I know how you feel and it's a hard place to be, but this too shall pass!

Happy to help!

Keep on, keeping on, mama! Everybody thinks my DD should be wolfing down a Big Mac and chocolate bunny or some junk. Whatever. You know what's best for your LO!

Sending you wishes of sleep!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!