Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what do i do with frozen milk?

Smile what do i do with frozen milk?

my son is 7 months now and we're starting to feed him solids. i've been pumping at night to have milk to mix in with his veggies and fruits but have had some extra that i'm freezing. he's never taken a bottle before (and won't)... so i'm just wondering if there's anything i can do with my ever-increasing freezer stash. i know almost nothing about breastmilk storage, but i think i heard that you can't thaw and then refreeze (as in thaw the milk to mix with veggies and fruits to put in the freezer for a later time)-- is that true? so... if i can't give him a bottle with it and can't thaw to mix (and store), is there anything i can do with it? we've given him bm "slushies" for teething, but other than that, i'm out of ideas!

thank you so much for any suggestions!

Default Re: what do i do with frozen milk?

You can bake things like teething buiscuits with it. Momsicles during the summer.

You cannot refreeze it, but you could mix it in with the thawed veggies.

Put it in cups.

Stop pumping and do baby led solids so you don't need much, if any, freezer stash.

It is good for a year in a deep freeze.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: what do i do with frozen milk?

Have you considered donating any extra? There is always a need for donors.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)