Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm so confused....

Default Re: I'm so confused....

Something really strange (in my opinion) about breastfed babies is that once they are a week or so old they are drinking as much breastmilk as they ever will. Breastmilk changes in composition to give more calories etc so it gets denser/richer rather than them needing more. It is one of the things that makes it a perfect food, but it is totally counter-intuitive. The only time a baby actually needs more is temporarily during a growth spurt. Pretty amazing huh.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Something really strange (in my opinion) about breastfed babies is that once they are a week or so old they are drinking as much breastmilk as they ever will. Breastmilk changes in composition to give more calories etc so it gets denser/richer rather than them needing more. It is one of the things that makes it a perfect food, but it is totally counter-intuitive. The only time a baby actually needs more is temporarily during a growth spurt. Pretty amazing huh.
    You're Kidding!!!! You have no idea how much this comforts me! I've been really getting myself worked up thinking I'd eventually not be making enough for him. Is this why he still consistantly eats every two hours still [ with no end in sight? ]

Also: when you say take him to bed...do you mean co-sleep with him? Or literally have him on me-on me all night? Right now we do co-sleep and I love, love, love, love it.

hang in there going back to work is a big adjustment for everybody, even more so then having the baby I do think.

this link talks about babies that are much older then yours but might be helpful to you:

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

and this one:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/reversecycling.htm

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*RavenLogan View Post
    You're Kidding!!!! You have no idea how much this comforts me! I've been really getting myself worked up thinking I'd eventually not be making enough for him. Is this why he still consistantly eats every two hours still [ with no end in sight? ]
    Breastmilk digests very quickly. This is normal. It won't always be like this, but it's totally normal.

Also: when you say take him to bed...do you mean co-sleep with him? Or literally have him on me-on me all night? Right now we do co-sleep and I love, love, love, love it.
    Co-sleep and side lay to nurse during the night.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Breastmilk digests very quickly. This is normal. It won't always be like this, but it's totally normal.

Co-sleep and side lay to nurse during the night.
    Babies usually drink about the same amount milk-wise after five months or so. So once you get through this growth spurt, that should be it!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

So...even though I sound like a broken record [ I guess I need to stop second guessing myself ] BUT right now he drinks 3.5 oz every two hours when I'm away [ he seems to be back at that after last weeks increase ]. Does that sound about right? He's 15 weeks old and people keep telling me I should give him more then that [ like 4.5-5 ] that way he won't eat every two hours anymore and stay full. What do you guys think?

So...even though I sound like a broken record [ I guess I need to stop second guessing myself ] BUT right now he drinks 3.5 oz every two hours when I'm away [ he seems to be back at that after last weeks increase ]. Does that sound about right? He's 15 weeks old and people keep telling me I should give him more then that [ like 4.5-5 ] that way he won't eat every two hours anymore and stay full. What do you guys think?
    It's a misconception. Breastfed babies don't ever need more. And when they do they eat more often. Not more in a session. Think in terms of is you were feeding on demand. Because that is what your pumping and bottle feeding sessions are supposed to mimic. Your breasts aren't at any point going to be giving up 6oz in a session. So the baby never will need bottles upped to that. Never. Now, you hear stories about it because people are misinformed and bottle fed children don't self regulate the way EBF babies are. Bottle fed babies learn to drink until a bottle is gone. Just because a baby WILL finish a bottle doesn't mean they need that much. You have to be extra diligent with breastmilk babies because people who are used to formula culture alaways try to feed them the way formula babies eat and as formula babies get bigger they DO need more. Because the composition of their food is not changing and growing with them they way your milk is to match your child's growth.
    They rule of thumb of what is needed is 1-1.5 osz for every hour you are away. Stick with that and you won't have problems. And yes your child may always want to eat every two hours.

Way too lazy for formula

Breast milk empties @ the same rate, whether you give him 3.5 oz or 5 oz. He will want to eat again soon because of the faster emptying of breast milk. It's better for their little digestive systems anyway to eat smaller amounts more frequently.

It is also a myth that putting rice cereal in the bottle will "hold them over longer", so don't let anyone try to talk you into that either.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I used to pump every morning after the first feeding to get more milk for the day. I was never able to pump more than about 3 ounces per session and I needed 8 for the day (for 2 feedings). Pumping in the am made up for it. I got to a point where I was telling my body to make enough milk so that I could pump one side while nursing the other in the morning. It made it easier.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby