Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Horn size

Default Horn size

I just read a post that mentions getting sized for horns. I think i could use a larger size but im not sure. How do I know what size i need?

thank you

Default Re: Horn size

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

The main thing is how they feel. The main point is that your nipple shouldn't rub the sides of the "tube" part of the horn as it's being drawn in by the pump. Neither should it float around a bunch; I actually have small nipples (despite large breasts/areolae), and have considered getting the 21mm size.

It's possible to need two different sizes. It's possible to change sizes as your baby gets older.

I'd recommend borrowing some from a friend if you can so you can try them out. Sometimes it's the only way to tell.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you! My nipples do rub a bit on one side so I was going to try to get another size. Thanks for the info, very helpful

I had two IBCLCs look at how the horns fit to size me. The one did it when we rented the pump, the other checked when I had her come over to help me with seeing if there was any way to nurse baby G. I know some will check if you pop in for a support group or weight check.

Medela also has a chart at their website.

But it's a matter of experimentation. I shouldn't need the size I use. It's way too big. But the size that I actually should be using caused severe pain.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!