Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so confused....

Unhappy I'm so confused....

Hi there...I'm desperate for any [ and as many ] answers I can get! My son is 15 weeks old and has been exclusively BF. I started back to work when he was 12 weeks old and things have been going smoothly. He still eats every two hours and I was told at WIC to start him out at 3.5 oz bottles while I'm away. I work 10 hour shifts and can only pump 3 times during this 10 hour time frame [ each for only 10 minutes or so ] and then again when I get home. I have JUST enough for him the next day however lately he has been wanting to eat every 1.5 hours my husband said [ and I advised him not to overfeed- try to see what else could be wrong before he just offers the bottle ]. At first I thought it was because there was a cold going around the house but he's still doing it. I guess my question is...if this is the only time I can pump at work and right now I'm pumping just enough- how do I know when to up how much milk he's getting each sitting and how can I keep up? A friend told me he is probley ready for cereal [her son is just breastfed too ] but I really wanted to wait until the recomended 6 months. I'm just so nervous that with my work schedule- I'm not going to have enough for him once he starts eating more. HELP

Default Re: I'm so confused....

You don't have to start cereal!

Is there any way at all that you could extend those three pumpings at work to 15 or 20 minutes? Can you talk to your boss about it? It probably wouldn't be a permanent thing, just for a couple of months. Remind your boss that women who breastfeed tend to take less sick days, because their babies are less likely to get sick? Can you use your 30 minute lunch break (that you are entitled to under law) to get one longer pumping in? Anything you could do to pump more often, or for longer, would help you. If your baby gets enough milk, you'll be more relaxed and happier at work.

One issue that can come up for moms in your situation is that your baby can get a growth spurt (3 months to 4 months is textbook for a spurt) and it's hard for you to catch up if you're not nursing all day, you know?

So some women find that adding a pumping on their drive to work (you can pump in the car if you have a double pump!), right before work, or in the evenings after your baby goes to bed, can help make up the shortfall.

Also, try taking your baby to bed with you and nursing at night more. All-night nursing, while tiring, really saved me from having to pump as much during the day.

You can do this! I know it's really hard, but many of us have managed it, and we're here to cheer you along.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for your response! I was sitting here waiting and praying for one so quickly! Yes! I can definatly pump longer at work during lunch...not sure about the other breaks because it's a call center and you are out of adherence if you don't take the exact # of minutes on the break [ and everyone has the exact same amount programmed ] but I can see what I can do. I know it sounds petty but I just don't want to give him formula at all when I've worked so hard on breastfeeding- you know? I do have a double Medela pump that is a lifesaver! SO blessed to have it [ I was sitting and doing a handheld which took forever- lol

It doesn't sound petty at all!! Good for you for working so hard to give your baby the best food possible! I know it's not easy.

Definitely do the longer pump at lunch. And take that baby to bed at night! Or if he's a good sleeper (LUCKY! ) then pump right before bed and/or first thing in the morning. Again, remember, this is probably just for the next few months - it's not like you have to do this forever. It may only be a few weeks before you catch up if it's just a growth spurt. Anyway, take it one day at a time. Nothing is permanent. I'm still nursing my two year old, but I stopped pumping a year ago! And for the last few months, I was only pumping twice a day. What I'm saying is, HANG IN THERE, this feels daunting, but if you take it a day at a time, it's do-able.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with JoMo. I would pump during lunch and maybe add a session or two On the weekend to stock up some reserves.

You could try power pumping on your half hour lunch break. That really helped me. It mimics a baby cluster feeding through a growth spurt and encourages your body to pick up production a bit.

Do you have a hands free set up so you can eat lunch and read or whatever while you pump on lunch? That was a lifesaver for my sanity.

Are you drinking plenty of water and maybe try oatmeal once a day?

I understand your desire to avoid formula. I felt the same way and managed to make it to a year without it while working FT.

You can do it!
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; April 22nd, 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Here's details on PP:

Consider power pumping at least once per day. This is where you pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 for a total of 60 minutes (30 minutes of pumping). This technique mimics cluster feeding and it often helps to trigger an increase in production.

Oh, but duh, you'd have to do this at night or on a commute if it's long enough?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

and while there are some brilliant and relatively inexpensive handsfree set ups they aren't much better than the simple holes cut in an old sports bra. Even cheaper is the hair tie method.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I don't know how private your work space is, but would you be able to pump while making calls? If you rented a hospital grade pump, that sucker is so quiet your clients wouldn't even hear it.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I don't know how private your work space is, but would you be able to pump while making calls? If you rented a hospital grade pump, that sucker is so quiet your clients wouldn't even hear it.
    We are in a call center where there are like 200 people basically right next to each other- lol....but it would be nice!!

Ok - so when I do pump more and he eats a little more...what happens a month from now when he wants even more?! Or do you think he'll be starting solids by then so I won't need as much when I'm away? I know I'm borrowing trouble [ and stressing myself out here ] which isn't good for my milk in the first place BUT I just want to be fully prepared