Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: doesn't like bottles suddenly

Default doesn't like bottles suddenly

the past couple weeks, my little guy (11 weeks) has been really struggling with eating while I am gone at work. He used to eat 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours. He seems to eat only eat enough to take the edge off now. He will eat an average of 2 ounces every 3 hours or so. He gets fussy while eating and sometimes, like today, completely refuses the milk. DH threw out 2 ounces of milk because he thought it must be bad, but the next bottle was refused also, and when I talked to him about it and had him smell the milk, it didn't have a bad smell. The baby did eat the bottle later, but was fussy for an hour or two until he finally gave in and ate. He has been eating only an average of 7-9 ounces for 11-12 hours worth of time and it is worrying me. He is having wets and poopy diapers (wet each time he eats and poopy 3-4 times per day) and he eats as soon as I get home. I just feel so worried that he isn't eating enough.
    When I am home, I let him nurse as often and as long as he wants to. I only work 3 10 hour shifts (plus the travel time) so I get to have 4 days with him. I don't know how much he gets with me, of course, but he eats the same amount of time as he has been prior to the bottle issue time. He also has been doing a lot more comfort type sucking after he is finished with the real food getting. I have been letting him because I miss him during the days I work and I enjoy the time we get to spend together nursing, but maybe I shouldn't. I don't know. He wakes up only one time at night (unless you count 5 or 6 in the morning still night, he doesn't) and eats every 3 to 4 hours during the day.
    He was eating bottles fine when I was only working 2 days a week, but as soon as I started working 3 days a week this started. Could it just be a coincident? Do you think he is getting enough to eat? He has been gaining about half a pound a week still so maybe he is and I am just being worried about nothing.

Default Re: doesn't like bottles suddenly

Going back to work is tough momma. My daughter also started to refuse the bottle, although it was when she was a little older. We had some success with changing the bottle type. We went from playtex dropins to nuk then back to the drop ins. She is doing better now but still doesn't like it. Sounds to me like you are doing the right things. Letting him nurse as much as he wants when you are home. As for the comfort sucking, as long as you are ok with it i would just keep doing it. It won't hurt him and if it makes both of you happy why not. Keep up the good work!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school