Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for my BFF

Default Help for my BFF

Hi All, My best friend & I have babies born 1 week apart. She has a question that she is hoping to get some help for, but I have to be the go-between as they are without internet for now and her iphone wouldn't let her post?? Anyways...below is her question:

I recently had surgery and because of some of the meds I was on I had to pump and dump for a few days. Well now weeks after my surgery my supply is still only half of what it once was no matter what I do. When I wake up in the morning and nurse i have enough. But as the day goes on I produce less and less till right before I put her down for the night and I don't have anything left. I know it is based on supply and demand but since I am literally producing nothing by the end of the day I have to supplement with formula or she will just scream and scream. What can I do?

Her LO is just about to turn 4 months old. She was 8-ish lbs at birth. As far as I know gaining well. No problems prior to the surgery. I do know she told me that she had a low supply problem with her other pregnancies...any help you can provide for her would be smashingly awesome! Thanks!

Default Re: Help for my BFF

Is she pumping when she supplements formula in the evening? If she wants to increase her supply at that time, she needs to stimulate her nipples to get that signal to her brain, which means nursing as much as she can (including in the evening), and then pumping if she decides to bottle feed.

It is very normal to have very full breasts in the morning and less full-feeling breasts in the evening, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have "no milk" or are producing nothing. Often the baby can get plenty of milk even if you don't feel full at all. So my suggestion would be to nurse her baby every night, for as long as she can before turning to supplements, and then, if she must supplement, pump. At first, she may not pump much milk, but the key is that her nipples are getting stimulated, which is telling her body that it needs to make more milk at this time of day. AFter a few days, she should see an increase.

But ideally, just nurse. Babies are more effective at getting milk than pumps anyway. It may be a little hard at first, if the baby is used to getting the bottle, but if the baby's diaper output is normal and she's gaining weight, this would be the fastest way to increase supply. It really is just supply and demand. The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more. (Of course, she might want to try some natural galactagogues like fenugreek or oatmeal, but these only help in combination with nursing and pumping. Since her supply is good during the day, she probably doesn't need them, although they couldn't hurt.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

And lots of water! I felt I wasn't quit as full as I ought to be 2 mornings in a row and drank more water, ate some oatmeal and that's all it took!
    Katie (5/06) weaned around 38 months
    Mary (1/09) weaned at 23 months
    Jack (1/1/11) nurses like a champ!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Is she pumping when she supplements formula in the evening? If she wants to increase her supply at that time, she needs to stimulate her nipples to get that signal to her brain, which means nursing as much as she can (including in the evening), and then pumping if she decides to bottle feed.

It is very normal to have very full breasts in the morning and less full-feeling breasts in the evening, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have "no milk" or are producing nothing. Often the baby can get plenty of milk even if you don't feel full at all. So my suggestion would be to nurse her baby every night, for as long as she can before turning to supplements, and then, if she must supplement, pump. At first, she may not pump much milk, but the key is that her nipples are getting stimulated, which is telling her body that it needs to make more milk at this time of day. AFter a few days, she should see an increase.

But ideally, just nurse. Babies are more effective at getting milk than pumps anyway. It may be a little hard at first, if the baby is used to getting the bottle, but if the baby's diaper output is normal and she's gaining weight, this would be the fastest way to increase supply. It really is just supply and demand. The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more. (Of course, she might want to try some natural galactagogues like fenugreek or oatmeal, but these only help in combination with nursing and pumping. Since her supply is good during the day, she probably doesn't need them, although they couldn't hurt.)
    Terrific advice!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree to pump when she supplements so that she is still getting the extra stimulation although she might not get any milk. Also, drink drink drink and maybe try the Mother's Milk tea or fenugreek. But I personally would not make baby go hungry while trying to increase supply. Best of luck to your friend!
    SAHM to Timothy 8-8-08 Keegan 4-27-11 and Rowen 3-27-13

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LifeFrames View Post
    I agree to pump when she supplements so that she is still getting the extra stimulation although she might not get any milk. Also, drink drink drink and maybe try the Mother's Milk tea or fenugreek. But I personally would not make baby go hungry while trying to increase supply. Best of luck to your friend!
    It depends on the situation. So much of breastfeeding is a confidence game. Moms who don't feel confident that they can make milk will second guess themselves and give up too soon, thinking that their baby is "going hungry" when they aren't really. That's why I suggested at least trying to nurse as long as the baby would take the breast, followed by pumping, only if absolutely necessary. A mom who has good supply all day, probably has more milk than she thinks in the evening! If not, her supply will recover quickly with a little more stimulation.

If that doesn't work, then pump while you supplement, in very small amounts. So just give a few ounces in a bottle at first, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.