Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

My DD is almost 6 months old. I'm new to this BF thing as I had to FF babies... so I apologize for this stupid question.. here it goes.. a little bit ago my LO was playing on the floor and hit herself in the face with her toy. Immediately started screaming and I picked her up to calm her down. She wouldn't calm down until I nursed her. It hadn't been that long since she ate so I don't think it was because she was hungry. Is that normal/ok?
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Default Re: Is this normal?

Sounds normal to me! Babies crave nursing for the comfort it gives - it's not just food to them, but mama cuddles, like "kissing a booboo."

Ah, yes, if I had a dollar for everytime Joe has done something that, by the basic laws of physics, would clearly result in him hurting himself ... well, I'd have a lot more pocket change. Most recently, it has been "Joe, don't put a paper bag over your head and then walk around! That's not a good idea!"

I think they are still learning those basic laws of physics!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Should I worry about her possibly over-eating? She's been spitting up alot but I'm not sure if that's because of her 2 teeth coming through.
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

No worries. What you describe is absolutely normal, and will not lead to overeating. A baby who comforts herself with a quick sojourn at the breast isn't getting a lot to eat. She's probably taking a few swallows in between sobs, but as soon as she's feeling better she's going to squirm to get down again. Probably so she can whack herself in the face again with that toy, but hey- that's babies for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

agree with pp. I was also told that babys can suck at the breast and get very little milk if they so choose (ie when comfort sucking).
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Totally normal! Ur her favorite binky!