Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 day old - extreme gas pain

Default 13 day old - extreme gas pain

Hello everyone! I am new to this board and bfing. A first time mom, I am a little concerned that I am doing something wrong. My lo took to the breast immediately after birth and has never struggled to latch. Due to an extreme amount of pitocin during labor (that ended in c-section), my milk came in very late (day 8).

We finally got good at bfing full time on day 9. She has a great latch and will nurse on both sides most of the time. She does fall asleep while nursing, often, which makes her not want the second side. Two days later she had a horrifying screaming fit, which we presumed to be due to gas. The next morning she pooped her first bf poop. Then the next day we had another screaming fit, but no poop yet. It has been 2 days since she pooped and she had another screaming fit this morning. We have tried the bicycle move, different patting positions, gripe water, bouncing on our knee, and walking around the house.

I called the advice line, but they said there was no reason for concern. How can that be? Is she not getting enough food? Is she getting too much fore milk? Dairy allergy? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Default Re: 13 day old - extreme gas pain

At this age, your baby should be having several soft stools per day. It isn't until babies are older that they can go days w/o pooping.

How often are you nursing your baby?

Are you allowing her to nurse on demand, or trying to stick to a schedule?

When your baby is fussing like this, have you ever tried just nursing her?

When your baby poops, is it soft (I think you said it was)?

Also, I would try breast compressions towards the end of a nursing session to stimulate additional let downs and get to the hind milk.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

The PP asked some great questions. If you can answer those, we may be better able to figure out how to help you. However, I encourage you to seek some hands-on help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC.

How are you feeling? Are you healing okay from the c-section? Being a new mommy is always a challenge, but I know that pain from an incision can make everything so much more difficult!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations on your new baby!

Mine is 7 weeks old and we had really bad gas/digestion problems early on too. We are having success with the gripe water (we picked an organic one that was the most natural one we could find). It is only working if we give it to him regularly. We started it just twice a day and it wasn't helping until we started it at least 4x a day (the directions say up to 6x a day). Maybe your little one needs it more often, or they have other gas drops (gas x didn't work for us).

Good luck.

I hope your baby is doing better. I don't want to dismiss your worries but I remember my LO having a similar issue when she was a bit older. My mom freaked out and thought it was all sorts of terrible things but my LO got through it and we moved on to more terrifying things, like teething and solids. I hope you LO is doing better. Go talk to a professional if they arent.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!