Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: URGENTLY IN NEED OF HELP!

Default URGENTLY IN NEED OF HELP!

I have a 6 month old baby girl and I've having a really hard time breastfeeding her since she was born and it has never stopped hurting. I took antibiotic and the doctor gave a prescription for yeast problem. It didn't work at all. It keeps hurting when I breastfeed and sometimes I feel shooting. A few weeks ago my breast started to get hard, like I have rocks in it, and it burns so much! My daughter can't get any milk out of it! Neither pump works... I'm applying ice in the affected area, but it seems not to be working anymore! No doctor has been able to give an answer about what the problem is. If you have gone through this, please let me know what I can do!!!

Thanks,
    Lucy

Default Re: URGENTLY IN NEED OF HELP!

Sounds like you should find a professional. Check out the find a leader tool on this site. It could help.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Or a lactation consultant.
    Katie (5/06) weaned around 38 months
    Mary (1/09) weaned at 23 months
    Jack (1/1/11) nurses like a champ!

The doctors don't think it is clogged ducts or mastitis?

As to your nipples, have you looked into vasospasms or Raynaud's Syndrome?
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! I really admire you for hanging in there for 6 months despite the problems you've been having.

I completely agree with the advice you've gotten so far to seek hands-on help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. What you describe could have so many different causes. For example, feeling "rocks" in your breast- that sounds like plugged ducts, particularly since you have been unsuccessful getting milk from that breast. And "burning" and "shooting" pain could be thrush, which can be difficult to treat and requires treatment of BOTH mom and baby, but vasospasm is also a possibility, as are complications from the plugged ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you all for your kind replies! I was planning to breastfeed my baby at least until 1 year old and it makes me really sad to imagine I have to stop now. I talked to two different doctors and both of them said that the problem wasn't mastitis. It's so painful and I have so many symptoms that it can be anything. I'm really looking for a professional help and hopefully I will find someone that will once and for all tell me what the problem is!

what kind of Dr did you go to? What kind of pump are you using? If you dont already have one, I say rent a hsop grade pump, even for a few days just to get the milk out!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK