Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long did it take you to wean off the pump

Default How long did it take you to wean off the pump

I pump 7 times a day (every two hours) to increase milk supply. My LO just turned 9 months today and i'm wanting to kind of 'estimate' how long it will take someone to wean off the pump. I know it's different for everyone but i am wanting to start weaning either by 11 months or maximum 12 months. He can still be at the breast for however long he wants to continue bf but pumping takes away time i could be spending with my LO and i'm sure excited to get some more time with my LO

Default Re: How long did it take you to wean off the pump

So you're still pumping seven times a day? And how many times are you nursing? Are some of the times you're pumping right after you nurse? I think those would be the first to get rid of.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

yeah whats your pumping/nursing schedule look like? I took 9 weeks to pump wean at work
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I pump every two hours as follows:

930am
    1130am
    130pm
    330pm
    530pm
    730pm
    930pm

I pump in between feedings but sometimes it ends up being after a feeding depending on what we're doing. I've seen a few LCs and the last one suggested i get tested for PCOS and to consider insufficient mammary gland tissue since i have some of the sypmtoms. I've noticed at night (after 11pm) my baby gets more milk so my hormones arent quiet right. Yes i know we produce more prolactin at night but someone whose prolactin is 'right' produces well also during the day, which i dont. In order to trigger let downs i have to use an SNS for my baby to stay motivated on sucking at the breast. I dont have to use the SNS while sleeping at night thank goodness, because my breast is fuller at night. So i'm scheduling an appointment with my OB to see how out of wack my hormones are. But back to my original question: How long did it take you ladies to wean off the pump?

well, i think we were asking for more details in terms of how long it takes to wean because if you're pumping mostly just to supplement/increase supply and not as a feeding, it will probably be quicker to pump wean.

I only pumped while at work, while away from my baby and so my pumping was just to provide him milk during the day/keep myself from getting engorged while i was away. I originally pumped three times a day in nine-10 hours away, and at about a year I went to two and then a month later I went to one and did that for about a month. I've had no issues with any discomfort and could have done it much faster, i was just worried about being able to keep up with his demand on weekends when he nurses more frequently.

If I were you, I'd just cut out a pump every week or so and see how it goes. My guess would be that you'll have little difficulty pump weaning in terms of discomfort/plugged ducts etc if you're just doing it in between feedings/after feedings to increase supply. Another way to pump wean is just cut down on the amount of time for every pump so if you pump for ten minutes, go to five and then eliminate that way.
    Last edited by @llli*jbean1979; April 22nd, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Answer:nine weeks
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language