Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only eats from one side

Default Only eats from one side

My little girl is 3 weeks and 2 days old. She spent the first 3 days in the NICU due to low blood sugars and a low grade temp I had during delivery. Due to the low blood sugars she was given bottles in the NICU but I also breastfed her before most bottle feedings and pumped what I could for them to add to the formula. She latched to both sides in the NICU but always preferred the right breast.

The first day home she had one good breastfeeding session (on the right breast only) then refused to breastfeed any further and we finally had to give her bottles of pumped milk. My milk had come in this day and I was engorged, which was making it hard for her to latch on either side. My left breast was much more engorged than the right, preventing her from latching to the left at all, which was odd because I had been pumping on both sides equally. Just when I thought we were going to have major issues the next day she started eating like a champ . . . but only on the right side.

At each feeding I offered her the left breast. Usually she'd try to latch for a few minutes but would then become very frustrated and start crying, at which point we'd switch sides and she'd proceed to eat normally. Only in the past few days has she started to eat on the left side (although she still refuses it at times) but my supply is WAY down on the left. My right breast has been her main food supply, so it's about twice the size of the left, which I'm not thrilled about. I have been pumping on the left a few times a day to keep it functioning but not enough to keep up with the right breast. I was afraid to pump at every feeding in case she never took the left breast, I didn't want an over supply.

Since she's now accepting the left breast also, I'm hoping to balance out the supply between the two. I'm trying to get her to empty it (which doesn't take long because the supply on that side is so low) every other feeding or so and I'm also pumping a few times during the day. Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations on how to increase the supply on just that side? Also, how long does it usually take to increase a supply? Do you think I'll be able to get it back up so I'm not so lopsided? TIA!

Default Re: Only eats from one side

Not to worry- you can totally turn this around! This link explains how: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Basically, you want to increase stimulation to the smaller side by pumping or by starting more/all feedings on that side. Eventually you should be able to even things out- but how long the process will take is a hard question to answer. It's so individual for each woman!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Only eats from one side

Thanks so much for the response and support! I read the Kellymom recommendations, thanks for the link! I hope to get less lopsided soon!