Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using fresh vs. frozen breastmilk

Default Using fresh vs. frozen breastmilk

Hi I have a quick question. I am going back to work next week and my little one will need to start taking my expressed breast milk. I have a stash of about 100 or so ounces in the freezer that date back over the last 1.5 months. When we start bottle feeding her should I give her thawed milk (oldest first) from the freezer or should I give her the milk I have pumped the day before at work? I don't want my freezer milk to get too old and go bad but I also know if it is better to give her the fresher milk if it is available.

Thanks!
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11

Default Re: Using fresh vs. frozen breastmilk

It is better to give the fresh. What I do is on the first day of the week she gets frozen milk, the oldest I have. Then the rest of the week she gets fresh and then I freeze the last days milk and add it to the stash.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was told that if your milk is in the deep freeze (chest freezer) that it is good for a year
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

It is good for a year. But if you just pumped fresh milk today, that is better than frozen milk - even if it's frozen milk from yesterday. When you freeze the milk you are destroying some of the properties in the milk. The other thing is that milk today is not the same as milk a month ago. It changes with your baby. That's why I give frozen milk once a week and fresh the rest of the week.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I like your method Tracie. I will have my care providers (my husband actually for my first 2 weeks back at work) do this. Sounds like a good way to rotate milk while having my LO get mostly fresh milk.
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11