Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP- I think I'm drying out

Default HELP- I think I'm drying out

I have a 4 months old baby girl. My intention was exclusively breast feed until 6months. Then, continue as much as possible. I returned to work 2 weeks ago and been regularly pumping while at work and breast feeding at home.

She had a little fever last week - from day care - and wasn’t eating as much, i kept pumping at work but noticed that my supply was less and less. One of my breast gives me 0.5 to 1 oz when before i was getting about 2oz and 4 from the other one.

I have been taking Fenugreek this week and i also drink smoothies and water all day. I’m drinking more coffee at the office though .
    I’m trying to eat nutritious and healthy food and pump on schedule. Why am i drying out? Yesterday i pumped 3 times and got enough for 2 feedings of 5oz. I am little sore too because i pumped longer to get enough. Baby is also waking up to eat 2 times at night when before she was sleeping thru the night.

I really want to BF exclusively until 6 months. But what do i do for tomorrow’s bottles??? I don’t have any reserves left.

Default Re: HELP- I think I'm drying out

The first answer to any pumping problem question is always trouble shoot your pump. Check the little membranes, tubes, whatever.

How long are you gone from your baby? It is possible she is being overfed. A more typical bottle feeding for a breast fed baby is 3-4 ounces; most never go over 4 ounces. A good rule of thumb for how much to leave is 1-1.5 oz for every hour you are gone. Remember, babies nurse for comfort, and they aren't always drinking milk the whole time; with a bottle, they have no choice - it's drink or choke.

It is completely okay for your baby to start waking up in the middle of the night to nurse. They will do this during a growth spurt, with teething, meeting new developmental milestones, when Jupiter is in Mars, etc. It doesn't mean there is a problem w/ your supply.

Try pumping extra on your days off. That will tell your body to start making more milk, and then you can bank that extra for the upcoming week. I hate pumping on my days off, but sometimes it is necessary.

And the most important thing to remember is that breastfeeding isn't all or nothing. If you have to supplement with a little formula (or donor breast milk), it isn't the end of the world. It doesn't mean that you've failed. It doesn't mean that you will HAVE to wean.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Linky to the kellymom page on how much milk to leave for the baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks for your advise.

Im away from her for about 8 hrs a day. When I started pumping I was able to get 5 to 6 oz 3 times a day at work.

Now im lucky if I get 4, 3 and 2 oz. However, she is nursing 2 times during the night (she wasnt doing that when iI was at home with her). So it makes sense she may not need as much during the day. Plus acording to the numbers on the link you sent me. I should leave her with 8 to 12 oz a day, so I'm not as far from that as I was thinking.

I really want to exclusively BF from at least 6 months. I know it s ok to supplement but I want to try as much as possible.