Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please, please help us!

Default Please, please help us!

I don't understand this at all. In the beginning there was the normal "just starting" pain. It went away, but then a few weeks later the pain started coming back.

Now it's starting to just hurt at times. The pain isn't happening with every feed though.

I've checked his mouth, no thrush. My nipples are not scaly, not red, and they don't burn while nursing. So I'm pretty sure this pain is NOT thrush.

The only thing I can see wrong with his latch is his upper lip. I'm always having to pull it out it seems. But I'm reading that a curled in upper lip shouldn't really cause pain?

When they hurt it feels like they're being pinched. I'm starting to feel pain more often, and it's really starting to discourage me.

Not only that, but I just fought my THIRD case of mild mastitis. Each time it was in the same exact spot.

I really don't have much of an option. LO will not take a bottle from me, and he's only really taken one 3 times from DH.

Please help. LO turns 3 months on Saturday. I don't know how much more of this I can take!

Default Re: Please, please help us!

Have you tried Laid back nurturing? Maybe if you let your LO latch themself, they can do it in a way that doesn't hurt more often.

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/
    This lady is the author of the Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple and a bunch of other books recommended by LLL. You might find your answer here.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

When does the pain happen? Is it during an entire nursing session or during a certain point of it.

Your lo may be not latching as well
    or your lo may be starting to teeth
    i cant link from my mobile but you can do a search online for dr jack newman he is has the best latching videos imho
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I've tried to let him latch on his own before, and he usually will do it way wrong. He "sucks" in my nipple and won't take enough areola, and it makes it extremely painful. I usually have to pinch my breast and shove it into his mouth. He doesn't open his mouth very wide for me to just put him to my breast.

The pain is happening when he actively nurses. When he starts slowing down and relaxing his mouth a little the pain goes away.

I feel like this might be a clamping issue, do you notice him closing his mouth/jaw at all?
    have ytou tried unlatching him when the pain starts and re latching to see if it dosen't come right back? switching sides/positions?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    I feel like this might be a clamping issue, do you notice him closing his mouth/jaw at all?
    have ytou tried unlatching him when the pain starts and re latching to see if it dosen't come right back? switching sides/positions?
    I've noticed him actually clamp down once before. It was the other day, and it hurt like no other, but it was different from what I feel normally. I took him right off and put him to the other breast, and he started nursing again.

I normally do take him off and try to latch him back on, sometimes it helps other times it doesn't. One time it was so bad that I actually gave up the nursing session. It was making my nipple crack. That has only happened once though.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Here's his upper lip

That looks normal to me.
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/

How are you holding your breast when you nurse and what position do you nurse in. It sounds like the same pain I was having with my current Nursing baby. What helped me was to nurse cross cradle. So say you are going to feed her with your left breast make a C shape with left the hand and when you grab your breast to latch her make a sandwhich. Really smoosh your breast for the latch. Then once she is on it shouldn't hurt. It took me about week to get it right. But everytime it would start to hurt I would unlatch her and relatch her. But I wasn't smashing my breast enough for the latch. I don't know why it worked but it did for me. Worth a mention I thought.
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/