Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Young for baby food?

Default Too Young for baby food?

My little girl is obsessed with food. And she hasn't had any yet! She will grab food off my plate and stick it in her mouth. I grab it right out, but should I start the basics? She's 21 weeks old. She fusses and reaches for food when anyone else is eating. I've tried nursing her when she's like this and she just reaches in my mouth. Is it too soon? I know breastmilk is all she needs, but she really wants food. I don't want to hurt her though. She's a big girl. Over 20 lbs. She is EBF. She wont take even a bottle or pacifier! But she wants the food bad!
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Too Young for baby food?

What about giving her a spoon to play with while you're eating?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That's a little over 5 months right? Rather than going by her age you might want to look at the developmental signs of solids readiness. Here's a list from this website:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    When baby shows ALL these signs they are developmentally ready for solids. Usually that happens around 6 mos old, sometimes a little sooner, sometimes a little later.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with pp.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thanks guys! She is sitting up, grabing food and putting it in her mouth. She chews with me. When I am eating she watches me and smiles and chews. I will try the spoon idea too! She is not pushing solids out of her mouth with the tongue reflex, when she grabs food and shoves it in her mouth she starts chewing and reaches for more! I spent 30 minutes argueing with a nurse just a few weeks ago when she told me to start cereal and I said she wasn't ready. LOL And now here she is showing all these "signs". LOL I just don't think she is using the pincher grasp yet.... Thank you! I am open to all suggestions!
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

You seem like a very rational person, so go with your instincts. My LO got some food at 5m but then I spent soo much time fighting with everyone else about how to feed her that I called it off and said she was too young. I would just let LO suck on her spoon with different purees on it, but they all thought she should be eating a bunch of food and would try to "trick" her into eating. So not cool. Anyways... you know your baby better then anyone, so trust your feelings!!!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma4 View Post
    Thanks guys! She is sitting up, grabing food and putting it in her mouth. She chews with me. When I am eating she watches me and smiles and chews. I will try the spoon idea too! She is not pushing solids out of her mouth with the tongue reflex, when she grabs food and shoves it in her mouth she starts chewing and reaches for more! I spent 30 minutes argueing with a nurse just a few weeks ago when she told me to start cereal and I said she wasn't ready. LOL And now here she is showing all these "signs". LOL I just don't think she is using the pincher grasp yet.... Thank you! I am open to all suggestions!

I thought you said you hadn't given her any food?

When you do decide to give her food, when she has ALL the signs quoted above by norasmommy - you might want to look into something other than rice cereal, which is basically empty calories. Lots of peds recommend it at a young age i think because it's fortified with iron, but it's generally better to get those nutrients naturally in foods (leafy greens, beans, watermelon).

I have a big baby too, but I don't really think that's an indication of them NEEDING more... it's just an indication that they're a big baby- oh, and they you got some good milkies
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I think food is the first time that you have the opportunity to exercise your own judgment over that of the babies. At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, which I totally am, but am not intending to be in this moment in time... food is the first thing your little one will be obsessed with, and it is up to you to decide if they are ready, their interest not withstanding. My daughter is five and has been obsessed with my laptop since she was four months old. But I haven't gotten her one yet.

Sounds like your LO is well on their way to being ready, it's an exciting time. And it sounds like you're not pushing it... perfect.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    I thought you said you hadn't given her any food?

When you do decide to give her food, when she has ALL the signs quoted above by norasmommy - you might want to look into something other than rice cereal, which is basically empty calories. Lots of peds recommend it at a young age i think because it's fortified with iron, but it's generally better to get those nutrients naturally in foods (leafy greens, beans, watermelon).

I have a big baby too, but I don't really think that's an indication of them NEEDING more... it's just an indication that they're a big baby- oh, and they you got some good milkies
    I have not GIVEN her food she does however GRAB it off of plates passing by. I immediately fish it out of her mouth, but its not after her chewing it and trying to swallow it.

I agree that size means nothing. I am very uncomfortable with the idea of her starting foods now which is why I posted to ask. Basically to see if I am crazy. Since she is demonstrating many signs of being ready, but I am not ready. LOL
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10