Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about feeding baby while sick

Question Question about feeding baby while sick

I am not sick but there is a good chance I could be soon. We have a stomach virus going around the house right now. I was hoping it was isolated to my 6 year old but my 11 year old and now my 1 year old have both been throwing up.

My question is, if I get sick, is it safe to keep feeding her?

I have been washing and sanitizing my hands like crazy and am carrying a can of Lysol on each hip but it isn't so easy with my one year old as he just throws up anywhere vs. the designated bucket.

I am just scared that the baby will get this. She is 12 weeks old.

Thanks!

Default Re: Question about feeding baby while sick

The very best thing you can do is breastfeed your baby. You'll pass on your immunities to the virus to her and if she does get sick, it'll probably be to a lesser degree than you were. Plus, breastfeeding will help baby stay hydrated should she start vomiting or have diarrhea.

I hope you and baby are able to stay well and that your older ones are on the mend soon!

Keep nursing!!! If that virus is in your house, it will almost certainly get to your baby no matter what you do. The antibodies in your breastmilk are her best shot to avoid developing symptoms (even if you yourself get sick) -- and if she does start vomiting or diarrhea, your breastmilk is her surest bet at staying hydrated, nourished, and comforted when she feels lousy.

With these stomach bugs, they are messy and awful, but the only real risk they pose is dehydration due to prolonged/severe vomiting or diarrhea. Keep an eye on all the sick ones to make sure they are drinking, producing pale yellow to clear urine, making tears when they cry, etc. If you see signs of dehydration and can't get fluids into them, then get them to a doctor pronto.

Same goes for you if you come down with it -- and it's doubly important, because if a nursing mom gets dehydrated, she won't be able to make much breastmilk for a while.

Good luck -- I can't help chuckling at the image of a mom "with a can of Lysol on each hip." Are you the quickest draw in the West? LOL.

Red face Re: Question about feeding baby while sick

Help!!! We have had this bug also BUT the dr told me to quit b/f until he could hold everything down - I normally pump 12 ounces in two pumps at work and today-my first day back since we all became ill on Monday-I only got 4 ounces TOTAL!!! I'm not ready to quit b/f yet and I know my son isn't either. I'm doing oatmeal, fenugreek, and mother's tea - what more can I do and how long will it take for me to get back to normal...OR am/have I dried up?

It's okay, you can build your supply back up with extra nursing and pumping. If you can stay at home this weekend, try doing a nurse-in -- spend all your time in bed resting, baby with you as much as is feasible, both of you mostly naked for the skin-to-skin contact (great supply stimulator) -- you'll need an adult helper to bring you food/drink and tend the baby when he won't stay in bed. A 24-hour nurse-in can work wonders for low supply.

If you feel like educating your doctor, send him these links, and explain that his instructions to halt breastfeeding has caused a significant decrease in your milk supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

The general rule of thumb is that however many days you weren't nursing, it will take about that many days to return your supply to normal -- if you are nursing freely and pumping as possible. Good luck!

--Rebecca