Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start pumping?

Default When to start pumping?

Hi All
    New to this forum so please forgive me for any errors etc!

I am a second time mum to two boys. My newest boy is 3 weeks old and doing really well weight wise and sleeping etc. I BF my first boy til 5months only due to initial (long lasting) latch issues/pain and supply problems (undersupply). He pretty much self weaned. With my second boy it seems to be a bit the opposite - am more or less over the latching issues/pain and seem to have ?oversupply but not yet sure.

My question here is more to do with pumping. I would like to build up a store to have for times when I cannot be there to feed.

When is the best time to start pumping (and also bearing in mind I may have OS at the moment)? I have heard it is best to wait til baby is at least 8 weeks before pumping but have also heard that if you want your LO to be successful at taking a bottle then you need to introduce a bottle of EBM by 4-6 weeks. Feeling a bit confused

Would really appreciate some advice please! Thanks!

Default Re: When to start pumping?

Since it sounds like you don't NEED to pump, I would just pump the first time you want to try the bottle.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

If you have an oversupply issue, pumping could agravate it. Your body needs to balance out and meet the demands of your LO. Pumping right now would just confuse your body into thinking it needs to make more milk for your LO. If it is bothering your baby try Laid back nursing. It allows the LO to controll how they latch and also since they are on top of you, it helps babies get past overactive let down and oversupply.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try the Laid back nursing when he seems to be choking on the flow. Will just need to make sure I get my latch right cos that is still sometimes an issue on one side for some reason....

So if I just pump when I need to use a bottle, is there a recommended/optimum time to introduce one in order to avoid nipple confusion but also to help ensure that they take to a bottle ok?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rainbow View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try the Laid back nursing when he seems to be choking on the flow. Will just need to make sure I get my latch right cos that is still sometimes an issue on one side for some reason....

So if I just pump when I need to use a bottle, is there a recommended/optimum time to introduce one in order to avoid nipple confusion but also to help ensure that they take to a bottle ok?

Thanks again!
    I dont think that you can ensure a baby will take a bottle no matter when you introduce it. I know a few working moms, whose babies NEVER took bottles of EBM when at mom was at work. Instead, they just waitied till the evening and fed literally all eve and night long!

because you have OS, I would suggest waiting it out as long as possible until your supply is regulated!

Is there some specific event you are going to pump for, like a wedding or something? if not then try to wait a bit longer.

good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK