Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Purchasing a new pump

Default Purchasing a new pump

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a new double electric pump. I've sort of had issues with pumps and want to make sure I get the right one.

I started out with a PIS that worked great. It was used (didn't know about the open system thing) and it wore out after 6 months. The pump started making a weird noise and I was getting no suction.

I bought a Simplisse because of the closed system and it seemed like a good idea. However because I was already used to the PIS type of pumping it just didn't work for me. I would not let down for it. The manufacturer told me to just keep trying. But with a kid in daycare I couldn't keep trying a pump that wasn't working for me.

From here I bought a Medela Swing because it was cheap. Its been doing an okay job but I lost my tube recently and had to use my friends PIS for a week (still open system issue, I know, I know) and my output was double what it was with the Swing.

I want to pump at least 4 more months, maybe longer. I also plan on having a second baby fairly soon. So the pump and I are destined to be best buds for a while.

I'm tempted to get a PIS because I know I respond well to it and I can't buy another $300 paper weight. But I do like the idea of a closed system.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a closed system that will act just like the PIS pumping wise?

Default Re: Purchasing a new pump

I have a Lansinoh (among other pumps), which is a closed system, and it feels a lot like a PIS/Freestyle to me. I like that I can adjust the suction and speed separately, which you can't do with a Medela pump. I'd use it more, I think, if the flanges were the right size. I could use it with PumpinPals, but those don't work for me either. It was $150

I know some mamas love the Hygiea pumps.

If you still have the Medela, you could contact Medela and see if you can get it fixed. I've heard they have great customer service.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The Medela Freestyle is a closed system pump I think.

Whatever you decide, take a look at www.bestbuybaby.com for good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I have a Lansinoh (among other pumps), which is a closed system, and it feels a lot like a PIS/Freestyle to me. I like that I can adjust the suction and speed separately, which you can't do with a Medela pump. I'd use it more, I think, if the flanges were the right size. I could use it with PumpinPals, but those don't work for me either. It was $150

I know some mamas love the Hygiea pumps.

If you still have the Medela, you could contact Medela and see if you can get it fixed. I've heard they have great customer service.
    I just Had my PIS replaced for the same problem, They overnighted it, All they asked was that i send them back my broken one. They e-mailed me the postage thingy too so i had to put out NO $$ And it took me all of 10min on the phone
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST