Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 mos low supply and weight issues (LONG)

Default Re: 11 mos low supply and weight issues (LONG)

I can imagine! I'm so impressed by working moms who pump this long. It takes commitment.
    Thanks you and others! I'm so glad it was my 2nd time or I don't think I'd have made it this whole time. With DD it was for half a school year not all year. It hasn't been easy, but it's worth it for my boy.

Do you know roughly how many calories you're getting a day? 1800 calories per day is the minimum recommended for nursing mothers, but unless you're falling below 1500 it's unlikely to affect your milk supply. The greater concern is nutrient deficiencies. So of course it's important to be eating a varied diet and nutrient-dense foods when you're trying to lose weight (but it doesn't have to include an extra milk serving ).
    I'm not sure exactly, but it's closer to 2000 or a little more, so I doubt that's a problem. I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies (they are 0 points)...just healthier in general.

5oz 5X? Is he assuming that each feeding at the breast is also 5 oz?
    That's what he's assuming. Since milk intake is the only thing they can't measure exactly then they figure that must be the problem. He used the 5oz 5X as an estimate. I know he probably gets more than 5oz in the morning, but he probably gets less when I get home from work. He almost refuses to nurse from during the 3-4pm feeding now. At first I thought it was low milk supply during that time, but I've purposely didn't pump later in the day at work and could feel I was pretty full and he still wouldn't nurse. Sometimes he'll nurse for a second and then let go....letting milk drip out.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I know that he's healthy. He doesn't look "skinny." Actually, a few weeks ago someone asked me if he is off the charts (high end). He has a belly and little rolls on his thighs. He's developing well. At his weight-in he was also getting over his 1st cold (considering how often I have been sick bfing is helping) , so that might have contributed. I just like to be sure he is getting enough from me. He now wakes up and eats again between 10-12 and, as always, can nurse as often as he wants on weekends.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

When is your next weight check? Is this week?

I just realized you never got an answer to your original question... The average amount of milk per day for a baby who hasn't started solids is around 30 oz. kellymom cites a study that showed an average intake of 19 oz for babies 11-16 months old.

I'm wondering if the decrease you've seen in what you can pump is simply a normal adjustment because your baby is getting more interested in solids.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    When is your next weight check? Is this week?

I just realized you never got an answer to your original question... The average amount of milk per day for a baby who hasn't started solids is around 30 oz. kellymom cites a study that showed an average intake of 19 oz for babies 11-16 months old.

I'm wondering if the decrease you've seen in what you can pump is simply a normal adjustment because your baby is getting more interested in solids.
    Our weight check is Wednesday. I have a baby scale and I think he's gained a lbs. I saw the site on kellymom the other day. Seeing that made me feel better. I know he's getting 19+ oz He was 10 months at his last weigh in (3 weeks ago), so he was still under the 30oz guideline. He is very interested in solids. Gma (my MIL) is finally giving him more during the day too. When I got home the day of his last weight in I asked how much he ate and it was 3/4 of 1 stage 2 fruit and his two 5oz bottles...that's it. I had already asked her to up his solids. Now with the weight issues she's feeding him more. He loves to eat. He's great at eating table foods.

If his weight is fine on Wed. then I'm going to keep pumping and doing what we are doing. When he turns one I'll let him have whole milk and wean him for work hours and let him self wean for the rest.

If his weight is not good I'll see what his Dr. suggests.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.

Let us know what you find out today!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Weight check

My little man had his weight check today. He came in at 18 lbs 7.4oz. He gained 1lbs 4.4oz in 3 weeks. He is in the 3% up from 1%.

Dr. is happy and says keep doing what we are doing. No need to supplement formula or milk. We go back in a month for 12 month check up.

I think his problem was a combination of things.
    He was getting over his 1st big head cold
    My supply was low due to AF
    He was not getting enough solids during the day.

I still don't pump what I used to pump, but I think it is normal drop in supply since he is on solids. I'm not giving him 6oz in bottles (2- 5oz during the day)and haven't officially added in an extra feeding. He does wake up around 10pm to eat now 3-4 times a week. If anything he has dropped another daytime feeding. I can only get him to nurse a couple minutes when I get home from work. We've really upped his solids during the day. MIL is feeding him lots now.

I'll continue to monitor his weight at home. We'll keep nursing until at least one and decide if we'll "daytime" wean or not. Looks like I'll have a baby that will never taste formula.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)