Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 mos low supply and weight issues (LONG)

Default 11 mos low supply and weight issues (LONG)

My son is 11 months old and started out 9lbs 6oz (90%) and dropped to 7% by 9 months. My Dr. is okay with him dropping on the chart as long as he's still gaining based on his weght (curve upward) rather than "the chart." He had me come back in 6 weeks to check his weight and he lost 7 oz (17lbs 9oz to 17lbs 3oz).

My supply dips really low before and during AF especially the last one (1st back to normal AF) which started the day after his appointment. I pump at work and bf during the day. He was feeding at bfing at 7am, getting two 5oz bottles during the day, bfing @ 4, and 7/8. I used to easily pump 10-12 oz at work. Now I can barely get 8. I don't feel like my supply ever came all the way back up. That and I've been sick with various colds on and off for 2 months (I'm a teacher...)

I'm pumping at night just to get enough (and I hate the pump) to fill his bottles. Dr. has me to upping his bottles to 12oz (2 - 6oz) which makes it difficult to keep up. He says 5oz 5X is not quite enough. I'm taking fenugreek and calcium/magnesium supplements, but don't know if they are really making a big difference.

Pumping at work is difficult and now the stress of not keeping up is starting to get to me. I'm starting to go through our freezer stash. My son likes to play instead of eat. He will let go many times during a feeding to see what's going on and now likes to try to play with my nipples.

He's never had formula, so our Dr. isn't pushing it. We were given 3 weeks to come back for another weight check (1 week left). I think he has gained a 1lb (home baby scale). We've upped his solid intake (babysitter aka Grandma wasn't giving much in the day) added in yogurt. He loves eating foods on his own (broccoli , fruits, chicken, turkey, etc)

I feel like I'm ready to wean. My goal was the 1 year mark. Maybe if I can supplement whole milk during the day and let him nurse the rest of the time that will be sufficient. Which is better? Trying formula or whole milk as a "during the day" supplement? I'm trying my hardest to make it to 1 without formula....we are SO close. I nursed my daughter until about 16 mos and she pretty much weaned herself. I had some slight supply issues early on, but not this late in the game.

I also joined weight watchers. I don't think that is my problem because my lower milk supply started before I joined. I am losing weight, but not really fast.

How much bm do they need at 11 mos? I always thought that the milk content changed when they got older and they didn't need as much especially with solids too.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: 11 mos low supply and weight issues (LONG)

Oh and we even survived thrush a few months ago.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.

Well I really can't give you any good advice because I only have a 9 month old right now so I've never gotten to 11 months just BFing. It sounds like you can maybe just give him more solids and stick to nursing as much as possible when you're around?

That is where I'm at right now. DD is 9 months old and BFing has gone really well. But I work all day and have to pump 2X a day. Pumping has gotten really bad because I'm hardly able to pump 3 oz per session and it's not really enough for her. She is eating plenty of solids but she still wants to drink a few bottles a day. My aunt who stays home with her is just burning through my freezer stash!

I nurse her at night and in the middle of the night and in the morning very well and she's gaining weight and looks healthy, but I really really REALLY don't want to supplement at all! I hope I can make it to a year!

Have you tried to up your water intake? When there is so much stress its easy to lose sight of the small stuff. You should really try to make at least that 8 glasses a day mark (64oz total). I have noticed that I produce less milk when I forget my water.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I am so glad you posted this. I am going through a very similar issue. My little one is almost 9 months old. He just got 4 teeth in all at once and is very active. He is dropping in the weight percentile and it concerns me. I am also doing weight watchers and taking domperidone and fenugreek to keep my supply up. I have just recently been really following the weight watchers program and I am notice my supply had dropped low. We already have to supplement with formula. I made it to a year with my first, I would really like to do the same. I feel concerned with his weight gain. My first son was always in the 75%. So naturally, I feel like I am doing something wrong. I pump 2-3 times at work already.

Hi Mama. I was in your shoes at this point in our BF relationship as well - so first,

AF does mess with your supply. During this time maybe you can supplement LO's diet with more snacks.

My LO never got bottles above 4 oz. 5 is actually the high-end for BF babies because they're used to eating smaller amounts at greater frequencies. As far as what ped told you, it shouldn't matter the quantity at once your LO is getting as long as he's getting the total ounces necessary. (5oz x5 = 25; 4oz x6 = 24; 3oz x 8 = 24) Unfortunately, at this point I don't think you can decrease bottle size (rapidly anyway) b/c his stomach's been stretched to expect to get that much to be full at this point.

I think that, with the snacks, you can avoid supplementation. If you absolutely feel the need to supplement, I'd say formula over milk - but at 11 months and just 1 to go I'd definitely try to hold off on either.

And yes, it's true that they'll drink less BM when they're older - but that's only if the nutrition has been replaced by solid foods.

As for Weight Watchers. . . can either of you tell me if your WW program is taking into account that you're breastfeeding? If you're not taking in enough calories, that could absolutely be your detriment. You need to be eating 5-600 more calories per day than someone not breastfeeding. I'd say the safest bet is to find out what they'd recommend you take in if you weren't BF and add 500 calories to that.

Hang in there Mamas!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Good job being a Bfeeding teacher. It must be so hard pumping in between a schedule that you probably have so little control over. I know another Bfeeding/pumping/teaching mama and she's always pulling her hair out.

A couple thoughts: I'm seeing that baby isn't nursing between 7 pm and 7 am, but you are pumping during this time. Is it possible to work in another nursing session in there? Personally, I would prioritize nursing over pumping, and gaining weight over sleeping through the night. Maybe nurse him once more before you go to bed, and then pump when he's done. He may be less distracted when he's very sleepy and will eat better.

Whether you do cow's milk or formula during the day is up to you, but I would not wean now. You are only about a month and a half from the end of the school year. Maybe weaning gradually over the summer would be a less stressful experience for both of you. I would pump as much as I can, try to up the solids, and add one more nursing at night.

about the water intake. Even being home most of the time, it is so hard to forget (maybe because I have instant access to the coffee maker )
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

It is difficult teaching and pumping. I had a great schedule in August and then they changed it a few weeks later and it's not ideal, but I've made it work. I know my water intake can always be better, but that's another hard part of teaching. I get so busy and then when I do better at drinking more I have to use the restroom more and bathroom breaks are hard to come by.

I guess I should say I'm ready to wean. I don't want to, but I am ready to "get off the pump" and start supplementing during the day. We'll be SO close to summer when he's one, so he can nurse whenever he wants then and can wean on his own.

Night feedings - he's always been a great sleeper (don't know how I got so lucky) and rarely wakes up in the night, but if he does wake up I nurse him. The other night I heard him making noises, but not actually waking up and I went ahead and nursed him. It took over two hrs to get him back to sleep.

6oz is a bit much. He doesn't finish all 6oz. He gets the rest in cereal later. I'm going back to 5oz bottles.

I'm doing weight watchers online. It does ask if you are nursing exclusively, nursing and giving solids, or not nursing. They give a certain number of points everyday based on your weight, height, and also factor in nursing. Points for foods are based on a calculation of fats, carbs, protein, and fiber. I get an extra 7 points each day because I'm nursing. I think it's closer to 12 if exclusively bfing. They do have where you can keep track of nutrition (ie dairy, fruits, etc) and tell you what you need more if if bfing (ie extra milk serving). I don't usually keep track of that though. WW is something that, for now, is working for me. I really need this since I have lots (70-100lbs) that I need to lose.

I'm sure we'll be fine and make it to a year bfing. I was just getting frustrated and worn out from the pump. With my daughter I only had to pump from Jan-early June then had summer. I did pump a little when school started, but it wasn't an entire school year straight like this time around. That and she never had any weight gaining problems. I'm hoping he'll be fine for his weigh in next week. Hopefully, the increase in solids is enough.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)

What does 7 points equate in calories? Can 7 points equate up to 250-300 calories? If not, their point system is skewed and can be hurting you. *And* another problem may be - if you're counting yourself not exclusively breastfeeding but still trying to get your body to produce milk for the pump as though you were exclusively breastfeeding you've got an issue.

And I totally understand about needing to lose weight. I'm trying to drop 60 now so I'm not far behind you. But if you're within months of weaning, is it worth waiting a few months, weaning, and then losing weight for?

If your weight is your biggest concern and you want to stay on the WW program, and that's your priority over your milk production, then the choice is pretty clear. Absolutely. Stop pumping. Supplement during the day. Stop stressing about pumping breaks. Your LO will self-wean from night-feedings in no time. Then you can drop those extra points down from your WW program and you'll be all systems go to burn off those calories.

But if your priority is your milk production, then your choice must be different.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*differjean View Post
    I'm sure we'll be fine and make it to a year bfing. I was just getting frustrated and worn out from the pump.
    I can imagine! I'm so impressed by working moms who pump this long. It takes commitment.

Do you know roughly how many calories you're getting a day? 1800 calories per day is the minimum recommended for nursing mothers, but unless you're falling below 1500 it's unlikely to affect your milk supply. The greater concern is nutrient deficiencies. So of course it's important to be eating a varied diet and nutrient-dense foods when you're trying to lose weight (but it doesn't have to include an extra milk serving ).

For water intake you want to drink to thirst. If you feel like you need more water, then it certainly couldn't hurt to drink a little more, but there's no need to force yourself to drink more than you want.

Dr. has me to upping his bottles to 12oz (2 - 6oz) which makes it difficult to keep up. He says 5oz 5X is not quite enough.
    5oz 5X? Is he assuming that each feeding at the breast is also 5 oz?

I agree with lizziesmom that it would likely be more efficient to add another feeding at the breast rather than try to pump more milk. At 11 months old, he can probably get more milk from a 5 minute nursing session than you can pump in 15. Do you think there's a way for you to fit one more nursing session into your day somewhere?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--