Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 mo doesn't want breastmilk

Default 10 mo doesn't want breastmilk

I was not able to breastfeed, but successfully pumped for 9 months and was able to stash quite a bit in the freezer as well as provide enough for my LO. Now that she is 10 months, I've stopped pumping, and we are trying to start using the freezer stash, she is refusing breastmilk and crying. Offer her a bottle of formula and she gulps it right down. What's happening with this? Is she weaning herself?

Default Re: 10 mo doesn't want breastmilk

Have you tasted or smelled your breast milk to see if it tastes or smells off? You may have excess lipase that only becomes evident when the milk has been frozen for a long time.

Have you tried pumping fresh milk and giving to her?

I was meticulous with sterilizing, transferring and putting the milk directly in the deep freeze. The few bags that we've taken out are from Sept, so they are now 7 months old. I know the "good till" date for milk is 6-12 months in the freezer, so I was hoping it would be ok. I'm not detecting any smells from it. I'll have to look up lipase. Not sure what that is.

Lipase doesn't have anything to do with your cleanliness It's a digestive enzyme in milk that starts digesting the fat. Taste it and see if it tastes off.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Weaning doesn't make any sense in the scenario you're talking about. She's not refusing bottles, just frozen milk.

I don't mean that in a snotty way. am pumping and only have one hand
    Tracie

Mommy to

Oh, God... I just found the thread about scalding milk to get rid of excess lipase... http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=excess+lipase

I think this is the issue. I didn't know... I've never tasted my milk because, well.. I didn't want to. It sounds like it's all bad. I've got about 300 oz in the freezer and it' looks like I'll have to chuck it all. I'm devastated... I so wanted her to have breastmilk till she was one. I struggled so hard to initally give her enough milk and then to make extra. I can't even donate because I won't pass the screening - I've lived in England for more than 3 months since 1980 AND I travelled to Nigeria about 9 years ago. <sob>...

sorry mama.

Maybe you could try mixing it 50/50 with formula to dilute the lipase flavor. And by mixing with formula I mean mixing the formula with water in the correct proportions and then adding to the breast milk.

Or you could maybe donate through milkshare or eats on feets

That sucks. Have you pumped recently? Do you think you could pump for the next two months?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I've already stopped pumping as of last Weds. My milk has been decreasing for the last two months despite fenugreek, power pumping, etc. I've only been getting about 1 1/2 oz from each pumping. I think it was just time for my body to stop. I'm a 40+ working mom too with a high stress job, and my periods have returned full force, so that may have something to do with it.

I'll try mixing it with some formula, or maybe add a bit to her morning cereal. Maybe the fruit will mask the taste.

If anything good comes out of this, it's that at least I know now. I have a good friend who is due next month. I'll at least be able to pass on the knowledge so this doesn't happen to her. Thank you everyone for your feedback