Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help I'm about to give up

Default Re: Please help I'm about to give up

I would actually caution AGAINST putting cabbage against your breasts. As soothing as it may feel. Since cabbage is actually used to get people to Slow or Stop lactating. I don't think it's a risk you should take at two weeks in. Since you are still needing to regulate your supply.
    And if they didn't give you a script for pain meds I would at least take some motrin before you try to nurse on the infected breast. So that you are able to work through the pain.

Way too lazy for formula

Exclamation Re: Please help I'm about to give up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I would actually caution AGAINST putting cabbage against your breasts. As soothing as it may feel. Since cabbage is actually used to get people to Slow or Stop lactating. I don't think it's a risk you should take at two weeks in. Since you are still needing to regulate your supply.
    And if they didn't give you a script for pain meds I would at least take some motrin before you try to nurse on the infected breast. So that you are able to work through the pain.
    I'm trying to find information on this as I've never heard of it before. I learned it from our health visitor (cabbage as relief) and I've read on a few sites (kellymom, BBC health ect) that recommend it as well. Here is what one site says...

No adverse effects from using cabbage compresses have been reported. ** Some literature suggests that overuse of cabbage compresses can completely “dry up” the mother’s milk supply. To date, no one has observed this as a result of cabbage compresses. Since they work directly on trapped fluid, it is highly unlikely that cabbage compresses alone will affect milk supply.
    From http://www.lactationconsultant.info/cabbagecure.html
    I'm not an expert by any means, however, so you could be right. However what I am reading seems to go against the theory.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

It's always listed as a step to dry up milk. And I feel like I have seen women HERE do it. (Heather did you do it??) You have to be very careful with cabbage.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2044885_dry-...lk-supply.html
    http://family.helium.com/how-to/1030...st-milk-supply
    http://www.justmommies.com/articles/...-up-milk.shtml
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; April 20th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

From what I can find about the research, chilled cabbage leaves are helpful with engorgement in the same way as cool gel packs or compresses -- the cold is soothing and may reduce swelling. They might be helpful if you're trying to reduce your supply because they'd make it more comfortable, but they don't in themselves have an effect on supply.

njrori4511, how are you feeling today?

The inflammation of mastitis keeps the milk from flowing, and that signals the breast to produce less milk. So you're right that the milk flow will come back once the antibiotics have kicked the infection, but it may take a few days for your supply to build back up to where it was.

Are you taking an anti-inflammatory med like ibuprofen? You might check with your doctor to see what you could take and at what amounts, if you haven't already.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    From what I can find about the research, chilled cabbage leaves are helpful with engorgement in the same way as cool gel packs or compresses -- the cold is soothing and may reduce swelling. They might be helpful if you're trying to reduce your supply because they'd make it more comfortable, but they don't in themselves have an effect on supply.

njrori4511, how are you feeling today?

The inflammation of mastitis keeps the milk from flowing, and that signals the breast to produce less milk. So you're right that the milk flow will come back once the antibiotics have kicked the infection, but it may take a few days for your supply to build back up to where it was.

Are you taking an anti-inflammatory med like ibuprofen? You might check with your doctor to see what you could take and at what amounts, if you haven't already.
    I tend to agree with Karen, and I think this is some good advice
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Pardon Mama, haven't read all the other responses, but what may also help is filling your sink basin with warm (not too hot) water and literally drooping your breasts down into the water. Stand there for a few minutes (awkward I know) but your breasts should start releasing a bit of milk. Once they've done that it may be easier to massage them and coax them into releasing for you.

Additionally - you're likely stressing yourself at this point (and I do not blame you!). Try using breathing exercises to make sure you're relaxed as you pump. Close your eyes and just focus on "Breathe in. . . 2. . . 3. . . 4. . . Breathe out . . . 2. . . 3. . . 4. . ." It may surprise you when you suddenly start hearing your milk dropping into the bottle.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It's always listed as a step to dry up milk. And I feel like I have seen women HERE do it. (Heather did you do it??) You have to be very careful with cabbage.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2044885_dry-...lk-supply.html
    http://family.helium.com/how-to/1030...st-milk-supply
    http://www.justmommies.com/articles/...-up-milk.shtml
    I wholeheartedly agree with Shelly as yes, I have tried it, and yes it did dry me up!! But my son was a lot older, so my milk wasn't his main source of nutrition.
    Cabbage leaves are awesome for getting relief, but take them off after a few minutes!

Soy Lecithin (sp??) is something that helped me, I had bout after bout of horrible clogged ducts, you can find that at most pharmacies (i found it at walmart)
    Massaging is awesome advice, defintely in the shower-get the water as hot as you can stand it. Or get a hot hot wash cloth and hold it over your breast and massage on top of that. I even took my manual hand pump in the shower with me at times!
    Oh mama, it's so hard when the baby is so young I really hope it resolves soon!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

You can do this, and I promise you will not regret it!!! Most of us have had a rough patch in our nursing journey and we are all so glad that we kept going when some would have given up.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

I can not thank everyone enough for all your support and help!! As of very early this morning I was able to feed my son off my left breast and it didn't hurt! Of course there isn't much milk coming out from a 4 day dry spell, but something has been coming out and the pain is gone

I have been pumping every 2 hours or so when I can't feed him and it seems slowly the milk supply is coming back. I know this won't be a quick fix, but I'm happy that something is coming out at all.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT. I was very frustrated, crying, and ready to throw in the towel, but in the back of my mind, I knew as soon as I fed him the first bottle of formula and as soon as I started to feel better I would have regretted not hanging in there a little longer. This is tough, but SOO rewarding and I know I'm doing the healthiest thing I can for him.