Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help I'm about to give up

Default Please help I'm about to give up

Hello. My son is 2 weeks old today and breastfeeding has been no easy task. He won't latch on so I need to use a shield each time I nurse. Which is no problem to me but now I have an engorged infected left breast and just got antibiotics yesterday to help cure that. In the meantime the doc told me to pump to get the milk out but nothing comes after 10 minutes of pumping. I have also tired nursing my son on that side and he gets frustrated and starts screaming bc no milk is coming. Now it's 2am and I just tried nursing him again for some reason no milk came from either breast so we gave him a bottle of previously pumped milk.

I'm just frustrated and tired. Please anyone offer some tips to relieve the pain of the engorged breast and how to maybe resolve the latching issue. Maybe my son just wasn't meant to breastfeed??

Default Re: Please help I'm about to give up

No, your child doesn't not yet know hot to breastfeed. At this point you and the baby should be pretty much couch bound all day just workling on getting it down. They aren't born knowing how to do it and neither are you. It takes practice mama. Do you have mastitus or a plugged duct? Massaging and/or actually feeding the baby in the shower can really help with clogs. Also are you doing compressions before you feed? I would try to avoid bottles this early because it can cause nipple preference. If your baby is already struggling to latch, you want your child to practice and do the work involved in breastfeeding. The latch will get better and stronger as the mouth gets bigger. It's overwhelming and a lot of times it is painful in the beginning. Keep working to remove the milk. Did they give you any pain medication??

Way too lazy for formula

What type of pump are you using?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

You are doing a great job. It can be so hard for you and your baby to learn this and to deal with an infection makes it harder, but don't give up! This is the best gift you can give you and your little one and very soon it will be a lot better.

When he's screaming, i would take a break for a minute just to calm yourself. Get a drink of water and go back to it.

Skin to Skin contact is a good way of calming both of you and encouraging breastfeeding.

I own the book THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING. The new version is the one I would get. It was essential to my learning! It is a great resource so I would highly recommend it. Just keep it next to you and read it as much as you can, I promise you will love it.

Keep coming back to talk.

Thanks for everyones responses. What are compressions?? In response to feeding on the infected boob, Yes I have a mastitis. No milk is coming out except for a drop or two. I have tried warm shower before feeding/pumping, hot compresses. Nothing has worked. I'm banking on once the antibiotics work then milk flow will come back. I still try to feed James off of it or pump every 2 hours as the doc has told me but nothing comes out.

The kind of pump I have it's a medela electric duel pump. I love it. It worked like a charm before this whole infection hiccup.

I will go get that book you recommended today. Thank you!!!

Ohh Mama
    Mastitis is HORRIBLE I feel your pain as I have BTDT!
    My advices to you to get that block cleared out...
    -Keep your breasts warm
    -Avoid tight or ill fitting clothing
    -Massage the breast, particularly around the "lumpiest' parts, starting from the base of your chest towards the nipple as strongly as you can tolerate with one hand at a time (use your finger tips, and hold the breast with the other hand) this makes my breast start to slowly leak out the clogged up milk when I have had this problem. It hurts like a &*^@%&# and it will feel like it is detrimental but it will actually soften the breast and once the milk is out it won't hurt anymore...strange I know..or at least this works really well for me
    -Take lecithin, 1200 mg 2x a day. I can't remember what exactly it is about it but there is something to this cholesterol reducing supplement that lubricates your milk ducts so that milk flows more freely...it really does help!
    -BEST WORKING TIP-if you have a VERY supportive partner, ask them to nurse you and massage the breast using the technique I mentioned above while they suckle. A human mouth can get the milkout more effectively than any pump, however, the only downside is that mastitis milk is not very tasty. It IS safe for ingestion, but is quite gross...when my husband has helped me through mastitis in the past he has just kept a cup at hand and spat it out, then drank some sweet soda pop immediately afterward to get rid of the taste.
    -Pump often, but don't hurt yourself. More frequent is better than longer sessions.
    -Stuff some fresh cabbage leaves into your bra between pumping/nursing. It will need to be changed every few hours but it has very soothing anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve mastitis.
    -RELAX!! Let someone else take care of house work, errands, what ever! Focus on boob health and rest and nothing but.
    -Get up at least once during the night to pump/nurse/ect.

I hope I could help you...GOOD LUCK and keep us updated!!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*njrori4511 View Post
    Thanks for everyones responses. What are compressions?? In response to feeding on the infected boob, Yes I have a mastitis. No milk is coming out except for a drop or two. I have tried warm shower before feeding/pumping, hot compresses. Nothing has worked. I'm banking on once the antibiotics work then milk flow will come back. I still try to feed James off of it or pump every 2 hours as the doc has told me but nothing comes out.

The kind of pump I have it's a medela electric duel pump. I love it. It worked like a charm before this whole infection hiccup.

I will go get that book you recommended today. Thank you!!!
    Compressions, BTW, are basically from what I see in videos, a fancy way of saying "squeezing your boob". There is a sticky somewhere in these forums that shows how during manual milking and pumping but it really is just about as simple as it sounds...don't hurt yourself of course...
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    It was probably a clogged duct that caused the mastitis and clogged ducts can block the flow of milk.

What helped me with clogged ducts was to take a very warm shower and massage all around and try to manually express a little milk. Also try an Epsom salt soak.

Here is a good link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    with all the above.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't add anything that has not been said already.. but hang in there you can do this..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    I can't add anything that has not been said already.. but hang in there you can do this..
    That's right!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?