Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with my extreme breastfeeder!

Default Help with my extreme breastfeeder!

Extreme is an understatement... my boy (my second, and my first was nothing like this - humbling to say the least) is 11 months. He would absolutely nurse every moment of every day if it were possible. At 10 months (after 5 months of sleepless nights and all night nursing), we finally had to buy a crib and put him on a schedule overnight. We're still co-sleeping with our four year old so that was kind of a big deal for us. He gets to nurse (or gets a bottle, pumped, from Daddy), before bedtime and once anytime after 2 and again anytime after 6 (he's usually up around 6:30). This, after vigorously sticking to it for about a month, has GREATLY helped our nighttime sleep issues..... and now to our daytime issues. He wants to nurse at least 2-3 times and hour, sometimes more often, throughout the day, every day. He all but refuses to eat solids, nibbling on things here and there but not really taking much interest, except in the boob. And he's assertive. If I don't nurse him, when and where he wants it, there will almost certainly be a tantrum... kicking, screaming, pulling, climbing, headbanging, you name it. And that can sometimes last for over an hour. He'll follow me from room to room, pulling on my legs and asking to be nursed, etc. I've offered him food as an alternative, soy milk in bottles, sippy cups, etc, pacifiers, anything to give myself just a moment to myself with my body and mind... all to no avail. His persistence is astonishing.

I do not want to stop nursing. I don't mind nursing him frequently, but this is over the top. I'm unable to get things done around the house or out of it. I have a busy four year old that also requires my time and energy, and I find myself feeling resentful about the amount of energy my baby boy requires from me. I have a job and a husband. I love my boy and I had every intention of nursing well beyond infancy, but I'm feeling myself begin to crack.

Have any of you had similar problems? What have you done that has helped? I was hoping that he would begin to turn some corner with mobility and exploration, etc, and begin to become more interested in other things.... but I don't see that happening at the moment. And suggestions for a dedicated mom - and her boobs - at their wits end?

Default Re: Help with my extreme breastfeeder!

Have you tried wearing him on your back? Maybe he wants your attention and that's the only way he knows to ask for it?

My daughter didn't care for solids until she was about 14 months old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with pp. Do you have a carrier that allows you to wear baby? I also have a very attached LO who loves to be worn and nursed in her Mei Tei carrier. It's been a life-saver!

The only other thing I can offer is and ! This too shall pass.
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

That's how my son was, until he was 2. It's grueling....

Are you aware of, or have you ever had any concerns about medical/health issues? Any other behaviors that give you pause or drive you crazy or just leave you scratching you head?
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Thanks for taking the time girls... it is MUCH appreciated.

I do have a carrier... I've used an ergo (the same ergo!) since my first was about 4 months old. It's pretty much the only thing that can give us any relief. And I don't at all mind doing it, if I'm washing dishes or watering the garden, but because I can't sit down in it, I still find myself limited. It seems like the worst times of the day are in the morning and right after nap, for whatever reason, I'm not sure.

He did have some eczema and allergy issues when he was very young, and I cut out all dairy and wheat (another one of the joys of breastfeeding this LO, lol!) and that seemed to fix the problem overnight - with nothing since. I slowly started to introduce fermented dairy products (eating them myself, I haven't given anything straight to him yet) and there hasn't been a reaction yet. I suppose that is another source of anxiety to me with the whining and nursing.... I always have this voice in the back of my mind telling me that something is wrong with him - even though he'll be 1 in a month. My girlfriends here have watched him and insist that it's an act to get more boob and nothing more, but regardless of truth, it's stressful as hell! I've always nursed him on demand, but I'm starting to think the only way to get out of this is to put him on a schedule and stick to it.

Do you have an exercise ball? You could sit on that while wearing him on your back?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Did the whining and frequent nursing get worse when you started eating dairy again? Sometimes there can be what my son's allergist called a "subclinical reaction" that you can't see, but behavioral changes can sometimes indicate there is something going on. If his tummy is hurting or something like that you couldn't see it but whining and frequent nursing could possibly be an indication that it's happening. Just a thought.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous