Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slipped down the percentiles over past few months?

Default Slipped down the percentiles over past few months?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Back at his 6 month appointment my son was in the 63rd percentile for weight. I just weighed him at home last night and depending on what month you go by (he is 8 months 3 weeks), he is now somewhere in the 31st - 47th percentile. I really can't figure out where we've been going wrong and I feel terrible that he's fallen down the chart so much over the past few months. I just put in a call to his doctor and am awaiting a call back. But thought that you ladies might be able to offer me some reassurance.

He is extremely tall for his age (and I suspect he still is, though I haven't measured his height lately), he's consistently been in the 97 percentile for height.

He is bottle-fed breastmilk during the day Mon-Fri at childcare and EBF the rest of the time. We just started doing a small amount of food back at 8 months, since he had textural issues and a possible oats sensitivity which lead to him throwing up cereal.

Default Re: Slipped down the percentiles over past few months?

It's very normal for breastfed babies to shoot up in the charts in the first six months and then plateau and fall down in percentiles in the second half of the first year. In fact, it's TEXTBOOK normal. The charts are made using data from primarily FF'd babies. But breastmilk is metabolized more quickly than formula, and when babies get mobile, they will burn it off much faster than they would formula. But there is nothing wrong with this - in fact, it's how it's SUPPOSED to be! My baby was at 90% for weight at six months, and has been falling steadily in the chart ever since, and is now down to about the 50th percentile. But he is still, by any measure, a BIG healthy boy.

Also, some babies will shoot up in height, then add some weight, in a sort of back and forth. That's normal too.

So if your baby is healthy, active, and hitting his milestones, DON'T worry about the falling percentiles. All is well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Are you using the new charts for breastfed babies? They are new in the last couple months.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thanks, joe.s.mom that's very reassuring to hear. My little guy has always been a very tall baby (takes after his daddy), in fact on his 13 week ultrasound we were all giggling about how long his legs were.

I spoke with is doctor and he's not at all concerned, he said we might look into it in a few weeks when we go for his 9 month appointment. But that he didn't think that it was anything to worry about and that a lot of babies go down in the percentiles when they start to become more mobile.

codepink, I don't know what charts he's using, I will have to ask at the next appointment. He is pretty good though and loves that we are breastfeeding. He's never been anything other than supportive of us.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    Are you using the new charts for breastfed babies? They are new in the last couple months.
    Where are these? Do you have a link to them? The WHO BF charts I had seen previously on kellymom were a few years old.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    Where are these? Do you have a link to them? The WHO BF charts I had seen previously on kellymom were a few years old.
    I think those are the charts, but she might mean that the AAP endorsed those as the correct charts within the last few months.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Hi--I just wanted to provide some reassurance since my DS also slipped in percentiles during that exact time period. At his 6 month appt., he was in the 50th percentile, but at his 9 month, he was between 25 and 50 percentile. Our doc. was not worried. However, when I look at the WHO charts, DS is still in the 50th percentile. Anyway, I attribute the change to beginning solids and mobility. DS doesn't even stay still while sleeping anymore, so he's burning a whole lot more calories. I agree with a PP that says that as long as he's meeting milestones and is happy and healthy, everything is good! Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It's very normal for breastfed babies to shoot up in the charts in the first six months and then plateau and fall down in percentiles in the second half of the first year. In fact, it's TEXTBOOK normal.
    In fact, when I went in to the pediatrician for my baby's 6 month check-up, she turned the computer screen to me and pointed to the curve, which showed that my LO had slipped several percentiles. "See?" she said, "This one is doing exactly what breastfed babies always do- she zoomed right up the chart, and now she's leaning out."

Seriously, don't worry about it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Seriously, don't worry about it!

DD just had her 9 month check up today. At 6 months she was in the 50th percentile for height and weight, she has now slipped to the 25th in each. Her ped thought she was doing great and wasn't even a bit concerned.