Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Right breast doesn't "work" + LO in 5%tile :(

Default Right breast doesn't "work" + LO in 5%tile :(

Since LO was born she never liked nursing from my right breast. She had a bad time latching on but excelled at nursing from my left. This breast became my super producer while the other my dud. I kept pumping my right, storing the milk in the freezer until life got in the way and I eventually stopped pumping it.

Fast forward, yesterday was LO's 4 mo check up. She has gained a total of 4lbs from birth, which puts her at 11lb2oz. She is only in the 5th%tile and actually went from 20%down to the 5%. The pedi was too concerned but she told me I should start introducing solids. I don't want to do that. I want to breastfed until 6 months, then introduce a small amount of solids and EBF until1 year.

So, can I keep it up with only 1 breast producing milk? I keep trying to pump the other side and get dripdrops out of it. I am thinking about buying a new pump? How can I get the supply to go up on that side? I also tried to introduce it to LO again and her latch on there is even worse. What can I do? I DON'T want to supplement, at all. I would hate that.

LO is happy, alert, and growing in all ways. I am not really concerned now but am afraid that when she is 6 months or older one breast just won't cut it!

Default Re: Right breast doesn't "work" + LO in 5%tile :(

Mama do you have a single or double pump? When you pump, how long and how often do you?
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I just have a single manual pump, that I hate honestly. I was pumping 4 times a day, ~15 minutes on the dud breast. Now I keep trying and barely anything comes out. Ive been trying to pump the good breast after she nurses but ugh, this pump drives me insane

Oh man. That could totally explain it.

Is there *any* way you can get a double-electric pump? Preferable hospital-grade?

Your breasts do better when they're both being stimulated simultaneously. And to be honest you can't beat the convenience of not having to sit there and work your arm like mad.

I also suggest power-pumping. Pump for 10 minutes, take a 10 minute break, pump for 10 minutes, 10 minute break, and pump for 10 more minutes. You won't see results with that *immediately* but you should in about 3 days. Try to power-pump 2x per day.

When you're not power pumping, don't watch the clock. Follow your breasts' cues instead. Pump through your second letdown before you put the pump up.

Let me know if you have questions.

You could try latching her on the right breast when she's sleepy. Babies will usually latch and feed quite well when falling asleep. Do you cosleep? We do and I have found that night nursing keeps my supply up more than anything else.

My LO likes my right breast better than the left. She'll latch onto the left, but it's not the preferred boob :-) so when I notice the production is down on the less preferred boob I will offer that one first since she suckles more vigorously at the beginning of the nursing session. Once you get the latch corrected on the right breast, try offering it first.

Good luck!! You can do it :-)

P.s. My understanding is that one breast can fill your baby's milk needs, but you will be lopsided :-(
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

I think this could be completely normal, you might not have a problem. Sometimes babies drop a bit from birth until they find their own curve, so as long as she stays on that curve from now she should be fine. Some babies are at 5% and that's just how they are.

As far as nursing from one breast, that's no problem. DS2 started refusing my left at 2 months and he is 18 months now, and he was always able to get more than enough. Your working breast most likely has made up for what the other side is not doing. Your supply adjusts to her needs whether you nurse from one breast or two.

If your LO has plenty of wet and dirty diapers, otherwise happy, meeting milestones, etc, I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on the weight and trust your instinct about waiting on solids, your milk is the best thing for her.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I really appreciate it.
    Well, let's see - last week I ordered a new manual pump, hoping it would help our situation as my Medela manual was possibly losing suction. Unfortunately, it seems like the same thing is going on with the new manual. I think my breasts just don't do great with manual pumps at all!!

Would it really be worth it to buy an electric? I can afford a double electric but not hospital grade. I am just afraid I am going to buy i and the same thing is going to happen, a measly 1/2 oz between the 2 breasts. I have a REALLY hard to letting down while pumping, too-- Is it better with electric pumps?!

Her dirty diapers # is good and she is definitely growing and hitting milestones.A super happy smiley baby, too.

I just attempted to get her to latch onto my right breast and first of all, ouch! it sorta hurts, she seemed like she was on there okay, better than usual but not perfect. and secondly, she kept grunting like really crazy sounding animal grunts- maybe frustrated?? It's so hard, that breast is sooo friggin small compared to the other already!! haha

Oh also, I noticed in the last week maybe that when my good side lets down while LO is nursing, my right side either only lets out 1 drop or now, more recently, nothing at all! That's what is really scaring me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*delsmomma7 View Post
    Would it really be worth it to buy an electric? I can afford a double electric but not hospital grade.
    I personally think a double electric pump is a worthwhile investment. Manual pumps are for moms who need to relieve temporary engorgement, or pump the very occasional bottle. They are not for moms who want to pump frequently, or for those who are trying to increase supply via pumping. For the latter type of mom, I'd suggest getting a good double electric like the Medela Pump in Style. There's a big range of efficacy among electric pumps.

The nice thing about hospital grade pumps is that you don't need to buy them. You can just rent them. Mine cost $3 a day, which is less than my DH's daily latte at Starbucks. So if you feel like you just want to try an electric and see what it does for you, renting is one route you could take.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I personally think a double electric pump is a worthwhile investment. There's a big range of efficacy among electric pumps.

The nice thing about hospital grade pumps is that you don't need to buy them. You can just rent them. Mine cost $3 a day, which is less than my DH's daily latte at Starbucks. So if you feel like you just want to try an electric and see what it does for you, renting is one route you could take.
    What she said.

And Mama, manual pumps never did a dang thing for me. I tried messing with them a couple times but never got anywhere with them.