Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why has to be BF or formula for 1st year?

Question why has to be BF or formula for 1st year?

Just wondering why babies must continue to have either brest milk or formula for the 1st year? Is it a calorie thing, or a nutrient thing? will they not get what they need from solids? Sounds like a stupid question I know.

Default Re: why has to be BF or formula for 1st year?

Breastmilk has the densest calories per ounce, and delivers immunological and nutritional benefits tailored to your child because you produce it with your body. It also sets the stage for social development and a positive overall relationship to eating/food in which the child is in control. The infant digestive system is also not designed to handle solids for a variety of reasons, one of them being a predispostion to allergies with foods eaten in the first 6-12mo.

Well... babies need one of the other for many reasons. The first you are right is a calorie thing, it also has to do with vitamins, minerals, staying hydrated etc. You see babies are like adults, we do not always eat the best of diets and even in the best diet many of us are deficient in many areas. So much goes on in a babies body during the first year, massive growth in the Brain etc. Many moms find that breastfeeding well after a year is very beneficial bc many children become picky eaters. The mom who is still nursing does not have to worry if her child does not have a good lunch bc the breast milk is tailor designed to give the child exactly what they need. Also many food that are very good for you such as peanuts and diary are not advised in the first year of life and sometimes beyond bc of allergic reactions. Babies and toddlers have very porous guts that when foods are given to early they can result in a lifetime of allergy's. Hope this helps!

12 months seems to be the consensus among health professionals for many reasons. Healthy, full-term babies are born with immature digestive systems. They usually mature close to 3-4 months, although I wonder if this maturity truly happens about 6 months or older when babies are ready for solids. Even when a baby is ready for solids, the amount of solids they ingest are not enough to get a balanced diet. Many babies digestive systems are fully mature by 12 months, and by this time many are also taking in adequate solids to create a balanced diet. Formula fed babies are often switched to whole milk at this time. They still have a high caloric intake, and in need of some of the nutrients in whole milk, although these nutrients can also be obtained in a variety of foods.

12 months is the minimum recommendation for breastfeeding by many health organizations. Every baby is different, and just like some are ready for solids later than others, some are in need of breastfeeding longer than others. There are many reasons to continue breastfeeding beyond 12 months. Research has shown that breast milk in the toddler stage takes on a colostrum-like effect. Toddlers typically nurse much less often than newborns, but the breast milk is packed full of immunities and nutrients to make the best of feeding less frequently. The toddler age is an age full of exploration. With this often comes more frequent exposure to germs because they touch everything and put nearly everything in their mouths. Breastfeeding helps fight those germs by continuing to provide a boost to the immune system, which is often not fully developed until after age 2. Nursing past 12 months also helps reassure moms who have picky eaters, and if you know toddlers, that is nearly all of them! lol!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

This discusses why to delay solids and the maturation of the digestive system:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

It has a lot of references as you'll see.

This discusses the benefits of bfing (which increase the longer you bf)
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pre...its.html#lists

There are a couple other articles but I'm not finding them right now so I'll check back.

thanks for all the info. I was planning on doing at least one year, (though everyone tells me I'll want to stop when he gets teeth (7.5 mos now) ) I;m finding it hard to determine when he should nurse or when he would like some water (sippy cup). This is all trial and error I guess

Stopping bf when your baby gets teeth wouldn't be good, so babies are born with or get them at 2 months, not all babies are over 6 months when they get teeth. Some people are weird. As long as your baby isn't constantly biting, I don't know why they having teeth would matter. I have a 15 month old and the only time she accidently bites is right before she falls asleep.

I think the people above are right, bf is all about calories, vitamins, nutrients, antibodies and the cuddling. Not all, but most babies, need that cuddling for at least a year.

As far as teeth, That will not make a difference, he still needs to nurse. My ds has 4 teeth and I very rarely even feel them. People have said that to me also About the water, I would always offer ds the breast first and then just give water, a couple of ounces or so, to wash down solids and to play with etc. I found that I had to really limit my ds's water intake bc I did not want him to fill up on that and not me!

Cow's milk is too high in some nutrients and can cause problems in babies under 1 year. Each species of mammal nurses its young for a certain amount of time because during that period, young mammals' digestive (and other) systems are maturing. People have to do the same thing. Since each species makes milk to suit the unique needs of its young, each baby mammal needs the milk of its own species until it matures enough to eat a mixed diet.

In addition, it is important to note that babies aren't born after 9 months' gestation because they are mature enough to live on their own, but because any more growth of their brains would make birth difficult, if not impossible. Their bodies still have a long way to go before they can handle a mixed diet. That's why mothers make milk: there is nothing else which can properly prepare the baby for living independently.

As for formula, it is the only acceptable substitute for breast milk in babies under 12 months because it has been adjusted to lessen the danger of illness posed by ordinary cow's milk. Formula is far from perfect, but it does have a nutrient profile which is closer to human milk than cow's milk is.

Concerning teeth, if a baby is nursing properly, the teeth will not come into contact with the breast, at least not in any way that is painful. There is little difference between being bitten by a baby with teeth and a baby without teeth; it's the pressure that hurts. (Trust me on this one; I've experienced both more times than I care to remember!) If your baby is teething and tries to take it out on your breast, you can take him/her off, tell him/her no, and put him/her down with a teether.

I nursed both my daughters for over 2 years and have to say that the nursing relationship only grows more beautiful with time. In my view, there is no need to wean before you really want to; problems can be overcome.

Hope this helps. For a better discussion of the reasons why cow's milk is inappropriate for young babies, you could try reading Human Milk in the Modern World (Jelliffe and Jelliffe) or some of Dr. Jack Newman's writing, I think.

re. biting / I agree - don't stop just because your child grows teeth! My sister told me the best thing for this - I love it and everyone I've told has said it works for them (how many parenting tricks are that good?!):
    she said when the baby bites down, you don't shout or freak out, you definitely don't yank the baby off your breast (which would scrape your nipple and hurt even worse), you firmly say "ouch" and pull the baby's head in toward your breast so that his/her nose is blocked. The baby will instinctively and quickly open his/her mouth. Depending on your baby's age, developmental stage, hunger, time of day, whatever, you can choose to change sides, stop the nursing session, talk about it and then resume, etc. etc. as appropriate. I believe that most babies don't bite, and when they do it's because they are (a) falling asleep and are oblivious, (b) bored and finished with the nursing session, or (c) teething and can hardly help themselves (I have only heard of this one).