Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throwing up, crying, sleeplessness, nonstop nursing...help!!!

Unhappy Throwing up, crying, sleeplessness, nonstop nursing...help!!!

Dear Mamas,
    Help me!!! My LO has been crying and crying and crying, he is 5 1/2 months old. He has been teething for I don't even know how long, for months his cheeks have been turning bright red and he's been having pain thats only been soothed by medicine once or twice a day usually, some days so bad that its a few times...accompanied by chewing on his bottles---he has been 100% EBM fed until about a week? ago when I got him relatched successfully...

Ever since relatch I feel like I've been in a living nightmare, he has been spitting up after almost every feed, hardly sleeping a wink, wants to nurse every 30-60 min for 10-30 min at a time and periodically will bite the living heck out of my nipples at random in the middle of nursing. I've tried expressing a bit of milk before feeding him as I thought, maybe the fast flow was making his stomach upset, but that didn't help anything and only made him suck harder which hurt me. He feeds more calmly when he's taking my expressed milk and I can't figure it out, what am I doing wrong I try so hard to be loving and gentle, I don't force him or raise my voice or anything upsetting and he still just acts so upset as well like squirms everywhere so that I have to move around with him just to keep the breast in his mouth so that he feeds otherwise he gets no food and will just scream incessantly with hunger. and if I try and hold him in place he just gets mad and bites. I'm so tired Mamas!! I've had to express a bit here and there for Dad to feed him so I can nap otherwise I have gotten no sleep but as it is I've gotten maybe 4 hours every 24 hour period and I feel like my nipps are goig to fall off, plus I am so worried about my little guy, he is so unhappy. I just want to comfort him and I don't know what to do!

I'm desperate...I am thinking about going back to 100% EBM feeding because this is so hard for both of us but I don't want to...

BTW I would call the doctor but he is totally unsupportive of my BFing just because I have health problems so I avoid going to him for anything regarding the subject)
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Throwing up, crying, sleeplessness, nonstop nursing...help!!!

bump?

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

I am in the same boat so to speak. My LO is 21 weeks today, red cheeked, nursing constantly. No teeth yet, but chewing constantly. I don't know what to do or if I should be worried. But just wanted to say I am there too!
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma4 View Post
    I am in the same boat so to speak. My LO is 21 weeks today, red cheeked, nursing constantly. No teeth yet, but chewing constantly. I don't know what to do or if I should be worried. But just wanted to say I am there too!
    Thats around the time Osrid started getting the the red cheeks and biting/drooling incessantly . When he had his checkup the doc said that the teeth can sometimes bother them for months before they even start "poking through" Up until recently tho he was sleeping OK most the time and would eat more regularly...but we had to pull the bottle of EBM out of his mouth several times so it would return to flowing as he would just CHOMP down on the teat. Would only spit up every once in a while then as well and now its like.....augh!

I don't know what to do either but personally I can't help but worry it doesn't help that out when you can't get any zzz I'm sure...

Bump!

So do you not agree that with the teething thought?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm sure its probably that but how long is this going to last? Its been ages and no forseeable end...this might sound silly but I find myself crying with my son, it hurts me so much when he is upset. Its insanely hard to keep up with this constant nursing and I don't think I can do it for months at a time...I have VERY sensitive nipples and its like augh...I don't know. I just want to know what to do to soothe him/calm things down/ know when this will end!

Have you thought about taking him to the doctor to rule out something other than teething?

It seems like this has more to do with you starting to nurse instead of bottle feeding though. It also sounds like you are going through what all of us went through during the newborn monts. Nursing all the time. Check. Soreness. Check. Feeling like we can't do anything but nurse the baby. Check. It will get better but it may take some time.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Oh - and teething lasts a long time. There are 20 teeth. Some kids are more sensitive than others. Lilah woke up every 45 to 90 minutes for 3 months straight.

Are you getting any sleep during the day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you thought about taking him to the doctor to rule out something other than teething?

It seems like this has more to do with you starting to nurse instead of bottle feeding though. It also sounds like you are going through what all of us went through during the newborn monts. Nursing all the time. Check. Soreness. Check. Feeling like we can't do anything but nurse the baby. Check. It will get better but it may take some time.
    also when your supply is naturally lower at night baby may be more frusterated because she is used to not just faster nursing, but the bottle.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language