Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning: am I doing this right?

Default Pump weaning: am I doing this right?

Hi

My LO turned one a couple of weeks ago and so I have decided to try and liberate myself from the pump when I'm at work during the day. I was hoping that some of the more experienced mommas would be able to tell me if I am likely to cause weekend/evening milk problems and if not, then whether I'm doing this right.

During the week my LO nurses when he wakes up at about 7am, when I return from work about 6.30pm. We then get him ready for bed, when he has a really long feed. He will also usually wake once in the night for a long feed.

I have cut back to comfortably pumping once a day, which was getting the full 8 ounces that he needed for DC. I have a good freezer stash and am comfortable with him slowly switching to cows milk at DC.

I am pumping later in the day (sometimes as late as 3.30pm, but never after 4pm if I can help it, so they have a chance to 'recharge' before the evening) and stop once I have about 6 ounces. My plan is to continue pumping later and cut down the amount I remove by an ounce or two each week.

Does this sound sensible? Am I going to cause us problems?

I had been looking forward to putting my pump away, but now I'm really doing this I actually feel a little scared and sad that I will loose my special time to provide for my baby
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

Default Re: Pump weaning: am I doing this right?

Any advice or experience?...

Part time cloth and

I don't have any experienve but I'm in the middle of doing what you're doing too.
    I've been gradually decreasing the time I pump by 2 minutes every week and it seems to be going fine. Its really hard to stop with less milk than I'm expecting though. is that hard for you too?
    I read a new beginnings article that says to do exactly what you're doing, but I'm always scared that once the pump is gone the milk will be too. My son no longer wakes for a middle of night feed, so here's hoping he can still keep nursing.
    Last edited by @llli*manomeesmommy; April 21st, 2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: ridiculous typos from posting on my cell! =)
    mom to Thomas Brocke - born May 5, 2010
    7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long
    8 lbs 3 oz at two weeks
    12 pounds, 24 1/2 inches at 2 months
    15 pounds at 4 months, 26 3/4 inches - he's gonna be a tall one!
    17 pounds at 6 months

Took us almost 10 weeks, but we successfully weaned from the nipple shield. Boobie au naturale!
    and at home and like a machine at work!

A year of pumping! Good job, mama!

Your plan sounds good. I cut down to one pumping, then shifted that later and later in the day until I could hold out until getting home and nursing. Other moms shorten the session every day (but for me, once I get a letdown, it's not comfortable to stop too soon afterwards - it actually makes me feel more engorged, hence the shifting later and later plan).

Sounds like you're on the right track! Just take it slowly and keep an eye out for clogged ducts - that means you need to slow down in the process.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would say after you have cut comfortably down to one pump that late in the afternoon, you could pretty easily cut it out entirely without much discomfort. I stopped pumping at 14 months after pumping once a day for a couple of months. I just stopped with no issues, and like you I was getting about 6-8 ounces in a pump. I just told DH to make sure he was hungry when i got home .

I was extremely worried about not being able to keep up with weekend demand after only nursing 3 or 4 times during hte week, but my little monkey is attached to me all weekend long and we haven't had any issues. I was skeptical when everyone here said it would be fine, but those boobs know what they're doing at this point. It really is amazing to me how it all works, but it works.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for all the great wisdom and support mommas. You've made me feel far more confident about the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manomeesmommy View Post
    I don't have any experienve but I'm in the middle of doing what you're doing too.
    I've been gradually decreasing the time I pump by 2 minutes every week and it seems to be going fine. Its really hard to stop with less milk than I'm expecting though. is that hard for you too?
    I read a new beginnings article that says to do exactly what you're doing, but I'm always scared that once the pump is gone the milk will be too. My son no longer wakes for a middle of night feed, so here's hoping he can still keep nursing.
    I find the hardest part is stopping at the 'planned' point and knowing that if I kept going for just five minutes more, then I could get another couple of ounces for my precious baby boy! I'm so used to every drop being so important that it sometimes feels really wasteful and wrong to not be emptying the girls.

I'm told that at this point you should be fine producing milk for just am and pm feedings. I expect that was a pretty bittersweet time when he stopped nursing in the night. I'm looking forward to the sleep, but I'm going to miss that time together.

Part time cloth and