Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrush and milk storage

Default Re: Thrush and milk storage

Sounds like the Venetian violet works quickly, maybe we'll give it a try. Saw my midwife today and she said if he's not bothered by it then I don't HAVE to treat it. Hard to tell if he's bothered or not, his eating habits have changed a bit but could be due to other factors. How long does baby's mouth stay purple after applying GV?

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Your midwife is right. Thrush usually doesn't bother the baby....its you it bothers! Just keep in mind that if he has it you will get it too, and in my experience thrush is horrifingly painful!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Please keep in mind that this is only my own personal experience and not the advice of a medical professional

I did not have luck with nystatin for my daughter. I had to use gentian violet. You can get it from the pharmacey but you have to ask for it. It stains really badly. I put it in my daughers mouth with a q-tip once a day for a week and the thrush was gone. You can also use it on your nipples the same way.

As for how long to treat. I was told that you should treat for one week more after the symptoms are gone.
    We used the nystatin for 10 days, then 10 more days, and DD's thrush still wasn't gone. Next time I went they gave me something else with an incredibly long name (I think it starts with a "t"). I only had to give that to her once per day as opposed to three. But that time I applied the dose to her mouth with a q-tip instead of just letting it sit in her mouth . . . it worked! Hot diggity! I wish they'd given me that stuff and told me to use the q-tip in the first place.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I wonder what the stuff with the long name is. His mouth is still white but I haven't been doing anything for it since we finished the nystatin. Doesn't seem to bother him and my nipples have been ok. I'm so scared it will come back on me or start to bother him. What a pain.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

thrush is a pain in the butt....Hopefully it won't come back. Gentian violet is very cheap if you are concerned.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school