Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green poop?This is new!

Default green poop?This is new!

Ok...I formula fed both my DDs and it was normal to find any color in their diapers. But I've been exclusively breastfeeding my DS, and I was under the impression that EBF babies produce yellow poop. My LO is almost 4 weeks old and until recently has always produced dark yellow, seedy BMs. For the last 2 days I have been finding olive green seedy poop in his diapers! I should mention that for the last 2 days he has also been very gassy and fussy. He is also being treated for thrush...I don't know if that could be related. I dont really think it could be my diet. I've been drinking mostly water for the last week and eating a prety bland diet, although there has been dairy in my diet.Should I be worried about this color change?

Default Re: green poop?This is new!

Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Thanks...I checked out the thread, and followed the link to an article about oversupply. I have some signs of oversupply, but not others. His poop is green, he's fussy/gassy between feeds. He seems to gulp during SOME feeds, but not others. I dont spray, in fact I can hardly hand express anything. But my breasts do usually seem full and a little sore, even after feedings. He is also spitting up after each feeding, but then still roots around like he is still hungry. Does this sound like an over supply issue? Should I try just nursing on one side at each feeding? He is not gaining weight fast. In fact the reason I started offering both breasts is because his weight gain was initially really slow and my LC said to offer both...but she DID say to drain the first side before offering the other side and I'm thinking we may not be draining the breast before moving to the other side.

If you're not draining the first side it's possible that you are only offering the foremilk, which could cause green poops. You only need to offer another side if your little one is still hungry after draining the first side. Spitting up is often a sign of OALD, however so are other things. I really liked this site for oversupply/OALD and here is the section on spitting-up. Good luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

There are two types of milk, the first milk, called foremilk, and the second that comes after, hindmilk. The foremilk is thinner and full of lactose, and if your baby is getting too much of that (usually due to oversupply) then they can have gastrointestinal discomforts, and, green poos. The links given by PPs can teach you how to handle oversupply.

Good luck!

I think it's also possible that medication could cause it, too. DS had "relish" poo for a week when I was on antibiotics. Other times the color changes for no known reason then goes back to normal.

There are two types of milk, the first milk, called foremilk, and the second that comes after, hindmilk.
    Actually, it's not so much that there are 2 distinct types. . . it's just that the concentration of fat increases in the milk during the nursing session.

Here's a link that can tell you more about this:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!