Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strange discomfort near armpits

Default Strange discomfort near armpits

Hi there,

I've been breastfeeding my son for a little over 12 months now. I night weaned him about 4 months ago, but he still nurses about 5 or 6 times during the day. I could never feel my letdown until about 2 months ago. Since then it's felt a little uncomfortable, (sometimes pretty uncomfortable) when I have a letdown. But only on the right side, up in my breast close to my armpit.

In the past week or so I've been feeling a little discomfort in that area even when I'm not letting down. And now it's a little bit on both sides (although still more on the right). Has anyone else experienced this? I initially thought it might be a clogged duct, but there's never been any hardness or pain when palpated. And now that I'm feeling it a little bit on the left side too, I'm pretty sure it's not because of a clogged duct. It's not the worst thing in the world but I'm just curious what's going on.

Thanks,
    Sunbreaks

Default Re: Strange discomfort near armpits

When milk ducts go up into the underarm region it's called tail of spence. It does sound like you have a clogged duct there.

I definitely have breast tissue in my underarms. That tissue would change in size with my cycles, very annoying.

But, yes, I believe it is possible to have milk ducts in your armpits, and could be a clogged duct. Can you sit in a hot bath and massage that area?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I'm going to chime in that it does sound like a plugged duct. I get them under the armpits occasionally, myself. Heat and massage might help!
    Proudly nursing my little Aya Bella, born 8/11/2009.
    Happily married since 9/5/2007.
    Living a beautiful life in paradise since 9/5/2005.