Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you use Domperidone? (sorry long)

Default Would you use Domperidone? (sorry long)

I hope this is OK to ask/discuss this here.

Here is my problem.

So it seems like from now on, within each cycle I'll have over 2 weeks of VERY low supply, 1 weeks of supply seeming to go back up, and about a week or less of good, normal supply.

The extremely low supply has been here again for 1 week now, with no sign of coming back up. Even with the malunggay powder (on top of everything else mentioned).

My DD eats probably (based on what I've heard) like a typical toddler - some day good/great, some day next to nothing. She doesn't like drinking water.

I truly fear that this problem plus the fact that my child is a toddler well on solids may lead to weaning earlier than I had hoped for. KWIM? Like if I keep upping her solid intake to make up for the lost milk, my body will make even less, and then less... My goal is AT LEAST 2 years, and I REALLY want to nurse her much longer than that.

I've heard so much about domperidone being extremely effective, apparently (unlike herbs) with every mother. It seems very appealing to me.

But my baby is NOT an infant anymore (if she were an infant whose diet should consist mostly of BM, I would have been taking dom already), and she seems relatively happy with whatever I make, though NOT always making up for the lost milk with solids (there have been days when I don't think she got much BM nursing but still didn't eat much, if anything).

I will of course make my own decision... but if you were in my shoes, would you take domperidone?

(If my wondering makes any sense at all... . In short, I WANT to take it, I WANT to have the normal supply, I WANT my supply to reduce according to DD's lead NOT because of some crazy hormones x( I just wonder if it's advisable at this point esp. because that's what *I* want not what *she* truly needs - even though when I have plenty of milk she's more than happy to take it - that's her personality she takes whatever I make, since a newborn...)

This is so long because I want to make myself as clear as I can...

Thank you for reading and any input at all!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Default Re: Would you use Domperidone? (sorry long)

I have been thinking about your question for a few days now. I even had a dream about it.

I feel like I am *supposed* to tell you to take it. But I sort of feel that if she was 8 weeks old or 8 months old - I would say, "Yes, take it for sure." But at 18 months...I sort of feel like if I were in your shoes I would just add some cow's milk/yogurt into her diet on those low milk days.

I totally get what you are saying about weaning, and I know you have struggled greatly to produce enough. I am not trying to take your struggle lightly or without any care or regard. I would feel conflicted and torn if I were you. I really think I would.

But at 18 months, you have done a fabulous job giving her breastmilk. And you can continue to do that. I would offer her what you have when you have it, but I guess at this point, rather than going to domperidone, I think I would just give some cow's milk. Breastmilk doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, as I've learned. So, I guess I'd give what I had when I had it and tried to get her to take some other milk on the days that I don't.

I give my DD some yogurt smoothies made with whole organic yogurt and fruit. She really likes them. I even have made the yogurt from scratch (although it's easier to just buy it).

I think you've done a great job, mama. I don't think it would lead to early weaning, but I am not really experienced in that area. I think in your shoes, I would offer some cow's milk.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thank you for your very thoughtful response. I'm really moved.

No you certainly don't have to feel you're "supposed" to tell me to take it. In fact, as I posted that I was pretty sure *most* people would tell me what you did in your response. (I even feared others would just think I'm overthinking.)

But... I don't think I'm comfortable offering her cow's milk at this point. She had a reaction to dairy in my diet at 6MO and 12MO. I have also gone soy-free since I heard that 50% babies that are allergic/sensitive to (bovine) dairy are also allergic/sensitive to soy. I cook with coconut milk and sometimes almond milk, but have never given those to her as a drink. I don't think they're nutritious enough, and very processed (unless I take the leap and start making my own...) Her main fluids have always been BM and water, and as I said, she doesn't even like drinking water.

ETA: I could try introducing dairy into her diet, but I am really unwilling to. Her only reaction to dairy has always been streaks of blood in the stool, never anything else, even fussiness. So in the past whenever I saw blood in her stool, for a while after that I kept having to closely examine her stool (sorry tmi) to see if the reaction was gone, kwim? When she was a baby almost exclusively on BM, spotting streaks of blood was easy. But it's not nearly as easy now with a toddler's stool. (And in any case, "closely examining" stools can't be fun...)
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; April 18th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

I will do it. Take the domperidone if you have done your research and feel comfortable with it. Especially since she has issues with dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I will do it. Take the domperidone if you have done your research and feel comfortable with it. Especially since she has issues with dairy.
    I agree, it really helped me!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I didn't realize the dairy thing. In that case, yes, I would try taking it.

Like PP said, if you have done your research and feel it's right for you - go for it.

I have a friend who was giving her DD that toddler formula stuff mixed with hemp milk. I don't know much about hemp milk, but I've heard good things.

KUP!

Christine

But the toddler formula is probably cows milk based.

Domperidone is approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers (unlike the FDA approved counterpart reglan). Domeridone has less side effects than reglan and is rated as L1, a safer medicine.

Aside from the FDA issue, I see no reason to NOT take domperidone if there is a supply issue. And to the FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    But the toddler formula is probably cows milk based.
    Yes. I wasn't very clear. Sorry. I figured the toddler formula was out. I was more talking about the hemp milk as another possible alternative. The woman I know just happened to mix the two. She believed this was better than BM. Which I don't agree with, but I digress.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; April 18th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Christine

I took it from the time she was 9mos to 24mos. I could've stopped at a year or even 15mos...but I kept on taking it until she started to back off. Then when she hit close to 2 and I was running out...I just stopped taking it and she weaned shortly thereafter.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My daughter is 2.5 years old and I take it. She doesn't eat a lot of solids and was nowhere near self weaning when my cycle returned. Like you I go down to no milk for over a week and noticed worrisome reduction in her wet diapers. I'm happy with my choice.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)