Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Audio Galactologue

Default Audio Galactologue

In 1989, there was a study that showed the important role of relaxation in milk production -- mothers whose babies were in the NICU listened to a relaxation tape each day, and after a week it was found that

Moms in the relaxation tape group made an average of 90.1 ccs (about 3 ounces) – compared with only 55.4 ccs in the control group, for an average difference in milk production of 63%. Feher and his colleagues found that the tape was even more effective among mothers of babies who were so sick that they were on a mechanical ventilator – mothers who were asked to listen to the relaxation tape made 121% more milk than those who were not. They also found that the more frequently a mother listened to the tape, the more milk she was able to make.
    Since the study only included mothers with babies in the NICU, it's hard to know if the results can be generalized to different circumstances, older babies, etc, but it's a method that it couldn't possibly hurt to try!

There's more information at the Breastfeeding Medicine blog, along with a podcast of the relaxation recording.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Audio Galactologue

Wow those are some stats. I wonder if that would have helped with my first (not NICU, but the stress levels were pretty up there)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I wonder if its anything with that specific recording, or if its any recording which the mother finds relaxing...
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I stumbled on some interesting lactation science a while back- about cows. Apparently some cows get afraid of the milking machine. Scared, stressed cows produce a surge of adrenaline, which prevents letdown from happening. So it makes sense that relaxed mammals have an easier time letting down...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I downloaded it a couple nights ago, but I haven't listened to it yet. But it's interesting.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    I wonder if its anything with that specific recording, or if its any recording which the mother finds relaxing...
    I doubt it's only the specific recording, but it may have to do with the kind of relaxed state you can get from guided imagery or meditation. That's my theory, anyway.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I stumbled on some interesting lactation science a while back- about cows. Apparently some cows get afraid of the milking machine. Scared, stressed cows produce a surge of adrenaline, which prevents letdown from happening. So it makes sense that relaxed mammals have an easier time letting down...
    I had a farmer who played classical music in the milking parlor He swore his cows gave more milk because they were relaxed. Dairy farmers treat their cows well because a stressed cow doesn't milk well and gets mastitis more frequently. (sound familiar ?)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I had a farmer who played classical music in the milking parlor He swore his cows gave more milk because they were relaxed. Dairy farmers treat their cows well because a stressed cow doesn't milk well and gets mastitis more frequently. (sound familiar ?)
    Wow, that's cool! I know my grandparents were always very good to their cows, both the milkers and the steers who were destined for the dinner plate. They got hand-fed treats and brushed all the time. But I don't recall music in the barn!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It was only the one. The others didn't do that, and I had probably 35 farms I regularly visited, and I had about a hundred I visited less frequently. This guy was interesting, shall we say

But it was so interesting what he claimed that when I read about the podcast, I found it on iTunes and downloaded it.

I sort of wonder, with the moms, if it turned out to be a cue, like when you hook up the pump or lift your shirt, to train a letdown response, and not anything fancy.
    Susan