Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush in milk ducts? Maybe not.

Default Thrush in milk ducts? Maybe not.

Interesting Facebook post from Lakeshore Medical Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic on whether it's possible to have a yeast infection inside the milk ducts.

Nipple pain is caused by two major things: a poor latch and a bacteria called staph aureus. Other things can cause pain: vasospasm (or a constriction of the blood vessels of the nipple), Reynaud's phenomenon (where the nipple turns white, red, then blue) , pump trauma, certain skin conditions, tongue-tie, pregnancy, and other infections, like yeast. It's not meant to be an all-inclusive list, but you get the idea. Lots of things cause pain.

But we do we know , from lots of studies, that the vast majority of pain is due to a poor latch (and probably vasospasm after the latch is fixed ) and staph aureus. But we blame yeast for everything.
    Based on this study published in Breastfeeding Medicine Volume 4, Number 2, co-authored by Dr. Thomas Hale:

Does ductal candidiasis really exist?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Thrush in milk ducts? Maybe not.

Very interesting. Staph would respond to antibiotics presumably, whereas yeast might be exaggerated by it.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: Thrush in milk ducts? Maybe not.

Well, differing strains of staph aureus are known to be resistant to many abx.

Karen, thank you for posting!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!