Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Do I Know If There's No More Milk In There?

Unhappy How Do I Know If There's No More Milk In There?

I have a 15 month old son and would LOVE to continue breastfeeding him, but I am pretty sure there's no more milk in my breasts and I'm not sure there has been the past few times I've breastfed him. I always think I hear and feel him swallowing milk, but when I tried to test my milk supply out tonight by manually expressing them nothing came out, even after 3-4 minutes.

Today is the first full day in 15 months that he didn't go to the breast at all. He's been going on every morning, but that's it. I asked him several times today if he wanted milk and he just said he didn't want any and then when I put him on the breast this afternoon, he went on like he was going to, but then decided he didn't and he split.

This is so hard. I just bawled and my husband just doesn't get it. I don't know how to feel about it. Part of me wants to breastfeed him for another 3-4 months and another part of me is almost ready to get my body back, but the former is much stronger than the latter. It's funny how you don't realize how much you miss something until it's potentially gone.

Anyone else out there having any of these issues/problems/braintwisters?

Thanks!
    Sara

Default Re: How Do I Know If There's No More Milk In There?

15 months is great mama! IME my older son had times when I thought for sure he was weaning, but he always picked back up. These times coincided with other milestones, like when he became a good walker, or when he could really start playing with toys, etc. Sometimes he wouldn't nurse for a few days but we are still nursing at 3 1/2. He will probably come back to nursing in a little while mama, he's just probably asserting so independence
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you so much for your help! That makes me feel so much better. I pumped for the first time in months last night to encourage the flow to get movin again and got a little bit out. I put him on both breasts this morning and he was on for a nice amount of time!! I'm going to continue to build up my supply again through massage and pumping and his efforts and hopefully keep feeding him for a loooonnnggg time.

Thank you again!!

Sara

THere are times when I offer the breast to DD and she refuses or isnt interested. But then there are days where I cant get her off! I hope that your LO continues to nurse for some time...great that he nursed the other day!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Sara,

I went through the same thing not too long ago. I pump weaned several months ago..so now when I pump, hardly anything comes out at all and I was questioning my supply. HOWEVER, I can feel like there is some milk in there and I do hear DD swallowing. She went on strike last month leading me to think that my supply was shot, so I brought the pump out of retirement, and even though very little came out, it actually did pump my supply back up. And DD went back to nursing pretty frequently. And NOW at 15 months, she's just become a little terror with her tantrums and her biting...so some days she has very little interest in nursing and some days are just fine. Just keep at it and offer frequently to maintain your supply. And if you need to do a "power pump" session (like I did last month), that may help ramp it back up as well. Good luck!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!