Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea, vomiting, and the BFing relationship

Default Diarrhea, vomiting, and the BFing relationship

So I sit here and type this on my phone! I am soo desperate...

DS is 16 mo. On Monday night he vomited 2x. I continuted to BF him on Tuesday and he was fine all day, didn't eat anything but drank water. Had 4 BMs of diarrhea. Then he vomited 2x on Tuesday night. Nurse him only on Wed morning. Brought him to pediitrcian who said to stop nursing and only give him water gatorade for 2r hrs, then start with bland foods.

Try telling my 16 mo he can't nurse. He's so pathetic. Anyway, he hasn't vomiteed since Tues night but still has diarrhea 2x day. My mother has been watching him since he's not allowed to be at daycare and four days later, I'm tired on her nagging. My.Question is how do u handle this situation? How do you tell your 16 mo he can't nurse? He still wakes about 2x per night to nurse. I appreciate any comments you can provide!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: Diarrhea, vomiting, and the BFing relationship

What was the reason that he can eat foods but not nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    What was the reason that he can eat foods but not nurse?
    My mother seems to think the milk is making him have worse diarrhea. Personally I think that's not true because I've only been nursing him at night and he's had all his diarrhea during the day. Arguing with my mother is like talking to a brick wall. Id actually be better off talking to a brick wall, the wall could probably actually hear me.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

That's frustrating. Mother's think they know everything. I'm pretty sure he would be better off to have the breastmilk first before anything else. Last time DD was sick she basically stopped eating solids entirely and just nursed. I think it helps them to get better sooner.

Mama, the best thing you can do for him is nurse right now. Both the comfort and nutrition are what he needs. Your milk will be wayyyy easier on his tummy than other foods, not to mention nutritionally superior. I've nursed DD through a couple of stomach viruses and if it weren't for being able to nurse she'd have been physically and emotionally miserable, not to mention that she'd have gotten so dehydrated that'd she'd have likely ended up in the hospital.

Any websites I can show my mom that breast is best in this situation?

It's already happening! Having to hide my nursing relaionship...

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...ut_myths1.html

15. If the baby has diarrhea or vomiting, the mother should stop breastfeeding.

Not true! The best medicine for a baby's gut infection is breastfeeding. Stop other foods for a short time, but continue breastfeeding. Breastmilk is the only fluid your baby requires when he has diarrhea and/or vomiting, except under exceptional circumstances. The push to use "oral rehydrating solutions" is mainly a push by the formula (and oral rehydrating solutions)manufacturers to make even more money. The baby is comforted by the breastfeeding, and the mother is comforted by the baby's breastfeeding. (Handout #9 You can still breastfeed).
    http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...omach/196.html
    If you are breastfeeding, continue to give your baby breastmilk. Breastmilk has fluids and electrolytes needed to prevent dehydration. Your doctor may also want you to give your baby an oral rehydration solution (ORS).

Thank you for the support! I really appreciate it. I feel confident that I am doing the right thing now especially after reading kellymom. I should have thought to went there!

I also realized that he's still not eating too much... he has been mostly on breastmilk and water. So of course his BM will still be loose!!