Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: human pacifier

Default human pacifier

My daughter is 8 months old. She has always refused a pacifier, bottle, sippy cup, etc. This is my second child that I have b/f. I did not have this problem with my first child. Now it seems she is wanting to nurse, especially around sleeping times, just for comfort. I would like to get her to find another comfort object other than me. If I can not introduce something I feel that weaning is a must. She is waking up more frequently and not wanting to go to sleep. I am very frustrated. I have enjoyed b/f however not being able to leave her and now her sleep patterns changing has really upset me. Any ideas?

Default Re: human pacifier

TEETH! It sounds like teeth to me! It may be she's comfort nursing because of pain! I can offer you no solution. I have tried to be as empathetic as possible during this obviously rough time in my young sons life. We co-sleep so I feed him as often as he cries. If you are willing and you can still get it in her Tylenol should get you a four hour stretch back. Motrin could get you 6! Good luck!

I haven't read the book, but I've heard others say that the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley may have some suggestions to help you. It must be very frustrating, my dd takes a paci and I know how frustrating it was when she didn't think she could sleep without it in her mouth!! She's better now, but still wants it when she first goes to sleep. I understand how you feel, I also wasn't one of those people who could have my baby use me as a paci all the time. Sometimes was fine, I don't have a problem with that, but when it interferes with necessary things like sleep, I too would want it to at least be less often for comfort...Hang in there, you'll figure something out, maybe it's a short stage...my favorite line that I recite over and over every difficult day is "this too shall pass" and when it does I sometimes look back and wish that it hadn't passed so quickly...even though it was difficult at the time! HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I agree with DJ's mom, it sounds like teeth. You could also try the teething gel with the tylenol. We are going through the same thing. He will stick his whole fist in his mouth, and drool. And I know it's teeth. Breastfeeding will comfort him. Hang in there.

The last two days have been a rough one for my little one. . He just slobbers, cries, and then slobbers some more. Finally I gave him some tylenol and he was a much happier baby. He fed better, slept better, and was generally a happier baby. Before bed I put the teething gel on his gums. During church today, I had to leave the service to nurse him, because he was so fussy. It was hard, but we got through it. I think he also has had a cold to go with it. But anyhow he seems ok. Thanks for letting me share.
    Angela Mother to David Jr. pump six years old (breastfed for one year), Dalton Wesley (five months still breastfeeding) and wife to David Sr. :

I agree with PP!!! This describes my weekend!! I thought DS had a personality change lol...its teeth!! I just let him nurse as often as he cries as well...sometimes he nurses for 2 sucks and goes back to sleep...wakes up 10 minutes later and same thing. I am exhausted...but I know this will pass and I feel bad for the little guy, who is obviously in pain!! Actually does anyone know...Do I need to go to my pedi to see if I can use Baby tylenol?? I think the box said to ask your dr. for under age 2?? So DS is almost 4 months and teething...I gave him a cold wash cloth (well I hold it in his mouth) and I bought him a teething toy today, and I rub his gums and nurse, but Tylenol for nightime would be very very nice...What do you do??

You don't have to go to the doc, just call the nurse and ask what dose to give. It depends on weight and why they can't just print the weight/dose chart on the Tylenol I don't know! :b
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

As I shared in another thread, chamomile tea works wonders as well.

Elle's mom, how has it been going with you? Any better? I hope so.

Angela