Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: will she ever nurse?

Unhappy will she ever nurse?

I am really struggling here. My daughter is 4 months. She has never nursed well. I think she gets frustrated with slow flow and quits. I have stuck with this and used the SNS for 3 months and pumped every 3 hours for the last 4 months. I try and try, but she will only have a good nursing session maybe once every 2 days. Am I resigned to only pump and give her expressed milk? Do I stand a chance to get her to nurse? I am so jealous of other moms whose babies just take right off. I am very committed, but it is really hard. I want that warm fuzzy nursing relationship, but I just don't know what is wrong with me. Any ideas?

Default Re: will she ever nurse?

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! Have you seen an LC?

I can't say if she will ever nurse "straight from the tap" with no probs. I do know one woman who ep'ed for 10 wks and then she tried to put the baby on the breast one day and he just latched on and nursed. She hasn't had to use bottles since then. Just telling you that so that you know it is possible she will just "get it" one day.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you. *hugs* It sounds like you are a wonderful mother. You are giving your Dr the very best gift: your breastmilk! She will thank you one day.

Wow, that sounds really hard. I'm so impressed that you have persisted for 4 months. Pumping is hard, hard work.

I'm sure that there is NOTHING wrong with you. There may be an underlying issue somewhere in there, but even if there is, it doesn't mean something is WRONG about either you or your daughter. Maybe with the help of a good IBCLC we can figure out what's going on. Can you tell us more about what steps you've taken, who you've consulted, and what your daughter's nursing behavior is like?

--Rebecca

I have consulted our LC's here multiple times. At first it was a supply problem. My milk came in good and strong, then I lost it. The LC's thought that it was because she wasn't sucking efficiently. After using the SNS with expressed milk and pumping after each feeding, my supply came back after about a week. She would and will latch on and suck enough to get a letdown response, but only nurses for a minute or two before the WWF begins with slapping and kicking and flailing and latching off and on. If I maintain a breast compression throughout the entire time (while my hand and forearm go numb) I can keep her nursing.

I generally pump after nursing and usually get 1-2 ounces less on that side. BTW, she will only nurse now on the right side. I pump 4-6 ounces after each nursing attempt total. So it is usually enough to feed her throughout the day, and I usually am able to bank anywhere from 16 to 20 ounces in the freezer daily.

I have quit using the SNS for about the last month. I just try to nurse her whenever I can and feed her the expressed milk in a bottle whenever else. She is not a big eater, but is growing sufficiently according to my pediatrician.

I had difficulty with my son and bf'ing as well...used the SNS for 2 months before he would nurse, but he got the hang of it and finally quit me after 7 months. I continued pumping and he got breast milk exclusively for 10 months.

Are there other moms that just pump and feed expressed milk? I work out of my truck everyday and it is tough to pump on the road all of the time. (I take my children with me) It would be so much easier if she would just nurse!!!
    Thanks for any ideas