Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flange slipping down

Default Flange slipping down

It seems that lately when I pump, the flange slips down and the top of my nipple rubs the top of it (and the milk doesn't shoot out because of it; it just sort of oozes). Any ideas on why this is happening? I am using a hands-free bra and it sort of seems like the bra is pushing down too much on it... but I haven't adjusted it since this problem started. I really need both hands to massage the milk out, and this is getting annoying!!

Default Re: Flange slipping down

Try a smaller flange, maybe? Often as the breasts shrink up over time, you need to change out the flanges on your pump. Or, perhaps your hands free bra does not fit you properly? It should hold the flanges IN PLACE, rather than shifting them around.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yeah, something is just not fitting right. I'll try adjusting the bra. I don't know. I'm just grumpy because I'm not getting enough milk.

Well, having the flange slipping off will do that! My guess is, start with the bra. Again, as our breasts get smaller, we often have to get a tighter hands-free bra to keep everything in place. You know, you can use a sports bra, and just cut out holes for the pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have never had any luck with hands-free set ups. I am large breasted, and as a result the girls are kind of, um, droopy. So I get the same thing as you describe with the barrel of the flange hitting the top of my nipple.

What I do to be able to massage while I pump is hold one flange in one hand, the brace the end of the other flange against the edge of my desk (or my dining room table if pumping at home). Then with my free hand I do breast compressions or type on my computer This only works with my PISA; the freestyle has those sort of rounded covers ( can't really think of how to describe), so it doesn't work as well.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I am large breasted, and as a result the girls are kind of, um, droopy.
    I think that's my problem too. Ugh. I adjusted my bra and it seems to be better.. maybe. I hope that my production is better today, because pumping is too much of a pain to not get better results! I'm so close to not having to use formula, but I just can't seem to do it.