Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gulping & choking

Default gulping & choking

my 17 day old son has recently started to more frequently do this thing where he's eating away & then he decides it's more important to suck & swallow than breathe. Which results in a baby gasping for breath as he chokes on what he had just been eating.
    I typically pull him off, sit him up & burp him until he is calm again. (He usually gets a burp too from all the air he's choked on)

We are currently working on weaning off a nipple shield, although it has also happened when he is eating all-natural.

I was wondering if this is normal?
    Is there anything I could be doing better in this situation?

And possibly unrelated - he's been spitting up more lately; today he soaked his nightgown. All other signs point to him being healthy...is it just air bubbles trapped down there, most likely?

thanks so much...

Default Re: gulping & choking

It sounds like he might be having problems dealing with your oversupply (OS) and overactive letdown (OALD). Babies dealing with a fast, forceful letdown and an overabundance of milk tend to gasp and choke at the breast. They can also spit up quite a bit because so much is going down and they don't have room for it in their little tummies. Here is some information about these issues.

Does this sound like what is going on with you?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Hmm, well - I am not sure!
    He usually doesn't choke in the beginning; it's usually half-way through. I haven't had any problems with engorgement or leaking.

He has been eating about every 2 hrs though and seems to be gaining weight (he hasn't been officially weighed for 2 weeks now). His stools are normal & frequent - not green or runny.

I do tend to "drip" as we are working on latching on, but I have not seen a spray yet.

The last few days he has been fussier than he used to be, which I'm not sure why exactly.

If I *don't* have OS, could it hurt @ all to feed from one breast only per feeding and/or block feed?

I don't think it would hurt to try. If it alleviates the problem then you know the cause!

I was never really engorged except for the first week or so. Even now, I still have OALD with a 'soft' breast. My DD still coughs and chokes a little. I've spent the past 3 months ONLY block-feeding and I still can't completely solve the problem.

He also just needs some time, probably. A lot of issues disappear after the first 2 months as babies become stronger and bigger.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

thanks.

also fyi, he just ate (for the better part of an hour??) and i was sitting back slightly reclined & i don't think i heard him gulp once... so positioning might have a lot to do with it!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sfootloser View Post
    thanks.

also fyi, he just ate (for the better part of an hour??) and i was sitting back slightly reclined & i don't think i heard him gulp once... so positioning might have a lot to do with it!!
    Yes, position can help a great deal. Reclining back and keeping baby in an upright position help A LOT with gulping and choking.

When I fed DD today a few times, she gulped and then choked a bit in the middle of the feed. OS and OALD could be your issues.

Good luck mama!