Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: THE HUNGER!!!

Default THE HUNGER!!!

Just wondering if any of you post-12 month nursing mamas noticed an increase in hunger around the time your child turned one? I seem to be constantly hungry---craving high-calorie things, too.

I feel the need for meat every single day---pre-pregnancy I was maybe a once-a-month meat eater.

Also craving sweets, fries, etc. Lots of unhealthy things.

I'm about three pounds away from my pre-preg weight, in the "normal" range for BMI, so not too worried there. But I know I should be eating better... When I visualize a healthy diet of veggies, grains, etc., it's just so unappealing!

Default Re: THE HUNGER!!!

Could you be pregnant?

I don't recall that. Although I know that my supply dropped considerably around that time and my daughter wasn't taking solids. So she was literally eating me to death. I kept losing weight and my body couldn't handle how much she needed. But I don't remember being and hungrier.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Oh my gosh, I hope not! No, I don't think I'm pregnant...

My daughter nurses a lot, though... Probably five times a night, and at least as many during the day. Maybe it's just that!

I wasn't very hungry either, but I went back to work right after LO's birthday. So I think I was just too busy to notice hunger. Actually, I was back to pre pregnancy weight and ended up losing 20 more pounds! And the strange thing is that I don't remember eating any less than usual either.

I vote for checking in on the possible pregnancy thing too.
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

I was pre-preg wt in healthy range when DD was 4 mos old. I still get up in the middle of the night to eat sometimes if she is really nursing a lot that night. Listen to your body, eat enough and try to eat healthy foods. I also run about 50 miles/week so I am always eating.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I had insatiable hunger the entire 22 months that I BF my son... sometimes it got worse, depending on how often he nursed. Just go with it, if you fight it and stay hungry, you'll get cranky (if you're like me).

Thanks everybody!

Definitely trying to eat more healthy foods---yesterday was a good day! Just not a super domestic person, so cooking on a daily basis is not really fun for me.

Most of my food prep energy goes is to my daughter's meals, so I often just grab what she's left behind on her tray (So gross! Never thought I'd eat a slimy banana or soggy english muffin off a high chair tray). So I'm probably not paying enough attention to feeding myself, and when I get really hungry as a result, I crave high-calorie items.

On a positive note---it's fun to be able to stuff my face and not gain weight!

Most of my food prep energy goes is to my daughter's meals, so I often just grab what she's left behind on her tray (So gross! Never thought I'd eat a slimy banana or soggy english muffin off a high chair tray). QUOTE]

I'm with you - I think I have eaten more "slightly used" food this last time than with either of the other 2!! I even got to eat the hot dog bun she didn't want at the ball field last nite - that would be OK if I got it BEFORE she decided she didn't like it.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Oh, I can totally relate!
    I am hungry all the time also.
    And I actually think I am not getting enough calories - I am 7lb below my pre-pregnancy weight, and at 96lb I am deifnetly not in the healthy range anymore...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.