Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ready to Give Up, plus a few questions

Default Re: Ready to Give Up, plus a few questions

I'm feeling the exact same way. My son is 4 weeks now. During the day we seem ok. but at night he nurses, falls asleep, wakes in 15 min, wants to nurse more, sleeps 15 min. Wakes with a dirty diaper. And it goes on and on until 10pm or so. Then he finally sleeps if I'm lucky.
    So I don't know if it's a growth spirt, cluster feeding issues, pm crankiness or what...or if I'm doing things right.
    I am getting anxious because I have to go back to work in May...how am I going to do that? I've started pumping, but I don't get all that much...maybe 1 1/2 oz total after each nursing session. My husband gives him a bottle of 3oz at night to get him use to a bottle but that doesn't help me stockpile my milk for when I have to go back since I am using it each day.

Hi Ladies! Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the advice. I seriously had no idea how much I didn't know about breastfeeding until I started attempting to do it.

I don't know if I have OALD/forceful letdown. How can you tell? Someone asked me if I could feel my milk letting down and I don't feel anything except her movements at the nipple. Is this normal?

Jane has been much better the last couple of days. Must have been a growth spurt or something. And then last night we got up around midnight to feed and my left breast was totally engorged and painful. I had her nurse on that side and it fixed the problem, but that was weird.

Today has definitely been a day of hanging out in my PJ's all day! I think I'll take a shower when DH gets home.

I haven't tried nursing in public yet. I do have a cover and may be using that at the wedding we are going to tomorrow. I have gotten comfortable with nurisng in front of family/friends at home (ours or theirs), so at least that's progress.

I think I will try to find a LLL meeting around here. I am also thinking of joing a mommy and me program at a local cloth diaper/natural parenting store. Some type of comraderie would be helpful right now I think.

I'm also hoping that I get the all clear to start running again at my 6 week appointment on Monday. That hour or so has always helped de-stress my mind and return my natural balance. Of course I'm worried about supply issues with exercising again, so look for another post from me about that in a week or two! :-)

Thanks again so much for all of your advice, suggestions and encouragement. Even when I am not enjoying BF'ing, I always enjoy the milk breath blowing against my cheek when we're done.

I don't know if I have OALD/forceful letdown. How can you tell? Someone asked me if I could feel my milk letting down and I don't feel anything except her movements at the nipple. Is this normal?
    The baby's reaction to letdowns is how you tell. A forceful letdown will cause the baby to choke, gag, cough, splutter, make a clicking/clucking sound, or to pull off the breast. When baby pulls off during a letdown, you may see milk squirting or streaming for the breast.

Not feeling letdowns is entirely normal. Many moms never feel them. I didn't with my first baby, and felt them only dully with my second, with whom I had significant oversupply.

And then last night we got up around midnight to feed and my left breast was totally engorged and painful. I had her nurse on that side and it fixed the problem, but that was weird.
    Your baby is still young, and that means your milk supply is still fluctuating a lot. Sometimes your body makes too much, sometimes it struggles to keep up. As time goes on, these episodes of engorgement will diminish in frequency and probably disappear altogether.

I'm also hoping that I get the all clear to start running again at my 6 week appointment on Monday. That hour or so has always helped de-stress my mind and return my natural balance. Of course I'm worried about supply issues with exercising again, so look for another post from me about that in a week or two! :-)
    No worries about exercise impacting milk supply. However, the type of bra you wear when exercising can impact supply. Anything tight or ill-fitting can impact your production and/or cause plugged ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

To the OP, thank you for writing what was going on with you. I, too, don't really enjoy BFing (altho, my DS is a few weeks older than your LO, and he recently started smiling up at me just before he attaches. That's pretty great). I've felt completely tied down by BFing. I've also felt totally guilty for not feeling great about BFing and not feeling this wonderful sense of attachment while BFing. My DH has been super supportive (like yours cooking, cleaning, etc.). But, I think I just don't like sitting in a chair all day unable to move. It's frustrating, but I've stuck with it because I know it is best for my DS, and that is important to me.

I've known BFing is a job unto itself, but honestly, I've just felt stir crazy. I've been going to restaurants and on walks with him since he was 3 weeks... I just could not stay in the house any longer. The hooter hider is a life saver. I practiced with it at home a few times so I got the hang of it. Now I just try to sit with my back to a wall at a restaurant. I've also found going mid-afternoon to be the best time to go. Fewer people mean more room for strollers, and if you LO wails, most people just think he's adorable and sweet.

So, I just really wanted to say that I'm so glad you were so honest in your postings. It makes me feel much, much better and way less alone.

Thanks, and I really hope you can hang in there, too!!

Just a quick update--my little Jane did wonderfully at the wedding! I did nurse her twice, once during cocktail hour and once during the reception. I just went outside (it was a really nice evening/night) and sat with her under our cover and she ate to her heart's content. I was proud of her because we didn't have our pillow so I had to hold her kind of funny, but she did it. And she wasn't fussy at all during ceremony or reception, so we were able to have some fun. Oh, and the wedding was at a winery (one of our favorites in Temecula, CA) and I was able to get one glorious glass of wine after the second feeding.

We are also doing much better with BF'ing in general. Some nights she is going 4-5 hours between feedings which is awesome. She still has her hour to hour and a half feedings on occasion, but I've gotten better at dealing with that. DH and my parents are also getting me out of the house to go to dinner or shopping or something, which is great.

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and advice. I've truly taken it all to heart!

I feel for you. It is hard to breast feed sometimes. There are still struggles for me, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed while feeding him, but things are so much easier now, and my baby is only 5 weeks older than yours. 6 weeks is around the time when they are crying the most also, so that makes it even more stressful. Keep at it and things will get better.
    My baby chokes sometimes when he is eating and sometimes when he spits up. Hold his arm up and that helps with the choking. I am not sure if it is reflux for your baby or not, ask her doctor. My baby's dr said that most babies have some form of reflux when they are younger, but thought that the choking was normal. Just keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after eating, that helps a lot.

Good luck!

Just saw the update. Glad things are going so much better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heatherbushead View Post
    Just a quick update--my little Jane did wonderfully at the wedding! I did nurse her twice, once during cocktail hour and once during the reception. I just went outside (it was a really nice evening/night) and sat with her under our cover and she ate to her heart's content. I was proud of her because we didn't have our pillow so I had to hold her kind of funny, but she did it. And she wasn't fussy at all during ceremony or reception, so we were able to have some fun. Oh, and the wedding was at a winery (one of our favorites in Temecula, CA) and I was able to get one glorious glass of wine after the second feeding.

We are also doing much better with BF'ing in general. Some nights she is going 4-5 hours between feedings which is awesome. She still has her hour to hour and a half feedings on occasion, but I've gotten better at dealing with that. DH and my parents are also getting me out of the house to go to dinner or shopping or something, which is great.

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and advice. I've truly taken it all to heart!

YAY! I'm so glad things are going easier now! It's funny how that works, huh? I remember being like, "I want to quit!" one day, and the next I was like, "Well, maybe this isn't so bad ..." and the next I was like, "I LOVE breastfeeding!" So stick around and encourage the newbies who come after you, 'kay?

Wedding in Temecula, in wine country? Sounds pretty nice, mama. I'm more of a Sonoma County person myself , but you know, I GUESS I could maybe stoop to Temecula ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.