Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can you tell when your LO is nursing for comfort or bc is hungry?

Default How can you tell when your LO is nursing for comfort or bc is hungry?

I really dont know the difference. I've always had to use an SNS because i dont make enough milk so this whole nursing for comfort has me wondering. Do they still suckle? Sorry for the dumb question

Default Re: How can you tell when your LO is nursing for comfort or bc is hungry?

I don't think it matters. Especially if you feel like you are underproducing. All suckling is stimulation. And the more you breasts get the better. You will produce some milk regardless. Because the comfort sucking always comes at the end of the feed. After letdown, when the milk is down to just a few streams.

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: How can you tell when your LO is nursing for comfort or bc is hungry?

It's not a dumb question at all

Sometimes it helps to get perspective on natural bfing environments around the world:

http://kathydettwyler.org/detfreq.html
    Comfort nursing:
    http://kathydettwyler.org/detsuck.html

As long as LO is on the breast frequently, even as Dr Dettwyler mentions that may be every 14 minutes (!) then your milk production will ramp up. Good luck mama!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I dont know, I just let DD nurse whenever she wanted, for wahtever reason! FIgured if she needed the comfort then she can have it...also great for supply! DD is now 2 so sometimes I can put her off, but as a baby and until quite recently, she nursed as often as she liked!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I don't think it matters. Especially if you feel like you are underproducing. All suckling is stimulation. And the more you breasts get the better.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Comfort is as important as calories. No need to tell the difference.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I'd imagine it's a different situation when you are using the SNS, I assume the OP is wondering if there is a point during the feeding when she can remove the tube? There isn't a 'rule' you can really go by to know if they are comfort nursing or eating, but toward the end of a feeding if baby starts to suck more gently, like fluttery almost, or if the suckling becomes intermittent, stopping and starting, you could probably remove the SNS tube and let her keep suckling on just your breast. At that point she is probably comfort nursing and whatever amount of milk she is getting from just your breast is probably sufficient. And if you remove the tube and she gets upset and wants to eat more, you can put it back in.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'd imagine it's a different situation when you are using the SNS, I assume the OP is wondering if there is a point during the feeding when she can remove the tube? There isn't a 'rule' you can really go by to know if they are comfort nursing or eating, but toward the end of a feeding if baby starts to suck more gently, like fluttery almost, or if the suckling becomes intermittent, stopping and starting, you could probably remove the SNS tube and let her keep suckling on just your breast. At that point she is probably comfort nursing and whatever amount of milk she is getting from just your breast is probably sufficient. And if you remove the tube and she gets upset and wants to eat more, you can put it back in.
    Good point and well thought out answer.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Good point. It's just i always heard 'my baby likes to comfort nurse' from a friend so i didnt really know what that means since, like you said, using the SNS is primarily for being able to feed on that extra avialable milk. Thanks ladies for your answers!