Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to use the SNS!?!

Default How to use the SNS!?!

Hello all!

I saw a lactation consultant today, and she suggested I use the SNS system because my twins aren't agressive enough to stimulate my milk supply. They latch OK, they just don't suck enough.

Anyhow, my husband picked up the SNS system on his way home from work, and we tried to use it...very frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions? The lactation consultant explained it to my husband, but...something was lost in translation.

Thanks for the help

Default Re: How to use the SNS!?!

i know in general you are instructed to wear the bottle around your neck and tape the individual tubes to your nipples.. but when i used it, i didn't bother with the tape and just held the tube there until the baby was latched on. some find this very tricky to do, but it was a lot less fuss in my opinion. i would loop the opposite tube up around the necklace part to avoid having my lo grab it and the milk go everywhere. it worked very well for me as far as building my supply. i would nurse first, then nurse with the sns, then pump. i did this for about two weeks. good luck!

You might want to ask this question on the relactation board, too. Lots of mamas over there have used the SNS.

I would agree with stressball that nursing first without the SNS would be the better way to go. Then, if they are still not satisfied, try the SNS, then pump afterward to increase your supply.

Just out of curiosity, why did the LC think you weren't making enough milk for your babies?

Take Care,

Tiana

The lactation consultant thought I wasn't making enough milk because the babies weren't sucking very well...the latch is great, but they don't suck long and consistently. I think that it is a cycle: slow let-down, they get lazy, don't suck as hard, slower let-down. I thought my babies just liked to nurse long before we went to the Dr. and Twin A was leveling out on his growth curve. I wish I didn't have to worry about giving them bottles...it isn't so bad nursing first and giving a bottle to top off. I am just terrified it will mess with the latch/suck issue worse. Of course, being stressed doesn't help anything Oh well, perserverance is the key, right?

Google Dr Jack Newman and find his website I think it is the Birthden, but can't remember now. There is great info there, even video clips of moms using it. HTH

I use the SNS. It works great most of the time. I don't tape the tube because my baby won't latch on with it on. Just give it some time to work. After I first got it, I gave up for about 6 weeks on using it(Also baby didn't need much supplementing at the time). Then when I needed it again, I worked with it and found what works. Also, I don't use the strap around the neck, I just rest the bag on my shirt above her at first and then lower it (to increase the flow) when she is nursing well from it. It just takes time to get used to it. And she still gets mad at me sometimes and cries when i try to use it. So i just let her nurse without it. Good luck and keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by neener View Post
    The lactation consultant thought I wasn't making enough milk because the babies weren't sucking very well...the latch is great, but they don't suck long and consistently. I think that it is a cycle: slow let-down, they get lazy, don't suck as hard, slower let-down. I thought my babies just liked to nurse long before we went to the Dr. and Twin A was leveling out on his growth curve. I wish I didn't have to worry about giving them bottles...it isn't so bad nursing first and giving a bottle to top off. I am just terrified it will mess with the latch/suck issue worse. Of course, being stressed doesn't help anything Oh well, perserverance is the key, right?
    Well, if it's a sucking pattern issue, then the bottle is probably not the way to go. Was the LC concerned about their growth/weight gain? How was their diaper output before you started supplimenting? (5-6 wet disposable diapers and 3 bms per day is considered normal for a healthy breastfed newborn after the first few days). You are right. Perserverance really is the key. The more you nurse them, the more milk you will make, and the better they will get at it. If there aren't any physical indicators that babies are not getting enough to eat, supplimentation is not necessary and actually counterproductive.

HTH,

Tiana