Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Attached upper lip frenulum the issue?

Default Attached upper lip frenulum the issue?

My 4 month old has been off the breast for about one and a half months I have been pumping as much as possible and supplementing. (Previous post...My son refuses my breast...help) I thought the issue was nipple preference after starting daycare, but now wonder if his attached upper frenum/frenulum was/is the issue? Now that I think about when he was nursing, I remember my nipples were always sore and cracked, so maybe he never had a good latch. I've tried everyrthing to get him back to breast, but not much success. I may get a 10 minute session from him now and then if he is sleepy, but that's it I'm sure it is easier to get the BM from the bottle with his attached frenum. My older son has this too but nursed just fine, so it never occured to me this might be a problem now. My 3 year old does have a small space between his 2 front teeth. How do I figure out if this is the issue, and if it is do I really want to get it clipped and put him thru that? Would he come back to breast after so long if that was the issue? Just not sure what to do. Would really love for him to come back to breast but I don't want to cause him any pain for it either. I can always keep pumping Any advice?

Default Re: Attached upper lip frenulum the issue?

I think that it's pretty common for the uper frenulum to be attached. My older daughter's was and she has a gap between her two front teeth. We didn't have any problems.

I didn't see your other thread... did he start refusing you after he started taking bottles regularly?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He started refusing me shortly after starting daycare and had more bottles during the day Sometimes I can get him to latch on and suck for a few mins but then he gets mad and cries. But since he used to smack so much when he did nurse and he clicks on the bottle I thought maybe he isn't getting a good latch,which may be from the attached frenulum?

What kind of bottles are you using? I noticed with Trixie that some bottles she was kind of clicking on, like she couldn't figure out how to latch onto them or something.

But she isn't that way with all bottles.

Are you still hearing the clicking now?
    Tracie

Mommy to

It's easier to get milk from the bottle no matter what. So you may really have been dealing with a bottle preference. have you seen this website:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Tracie

Mommy to

Here's one on clicking... although I am not sure if it would be the same on the bottle as the breast...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...n-nursing.html
    Tracie

Mommy to

We use the Breastflow and Nuk Brand bottles and sometimes Avent too, he clicks or smacks on all of them. Thanks for the links I had seen most of them already but it helps to reread again! Really want to be able to BF again, but we spend lots of time cuddling!

Huh I don't think that would be the problem, but you know maybe you are onto it. But, what about the tongue is it possible the bottom frenulum is causing problems? Tongue tie is hard to see and if you are hearing clicking makes me think it is tongue tie and not the upper frenulum.

Can your baby stick his tongue out past his bottom teeth? When he cries look in there. Do you see a heart shape at the tip or any sort of gathering in the middle part?

Both of mine had tongue tie and we never really had problems nursing although my second had some clicking. From what I understand the upper is more cosmetic and causes the gap between the teeth but not nursing issues.

Might be worth a check at the ENT.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09