Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

I have read that you should only double-pump for 10-15 minutes at a time, but I have also read that you should pump 3-5 minutes after the milk stops flowing. What if my milk is still flowing after 15 minutes? Is it safe to continue pumping? Is there a point where too much pumping will hurt me?

I was using a PISA, but I just started to use a Ameda hospital-grade pump today.

Default Re: How much is too much?

You're EPing, right? If I were EPing, I would pump until no milk came out anymore. And then pump a few more minutes, probably.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, I am EPing.

That's what I have been doing, but I was getting nervous that maybe it's too much suction. The hospital pump is *much* stronger, even at the lowest setting.

My left breast always has more milk than my right one. Therefore, I pump a lot longer due to that. Do you think that's okay for the right one? Should I switch to single pumping a few minutes after the right stops dripping?

I have the same problem. I pump at work and this morning I got 6 ounces out of the right and around 2 ounces out of the left. I just keep pumping both at the same time...

There is a big difference with a hospital grade pump. I have to have the suction on minimum for my hospital grade pump and then 25% or a bit less on my Medela PISA.

If it doesn't hurt you, I would probably keep pumping both sides. It should stimulate the right side to produce more.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Cool, thanks!