Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old not pooping

Default 4 month old not pooping

I have tried 2 oz. a day of pear juice, my mother has put 1 tsp karo in a bottle of breastmilk, we cut back on cereal... My 4 month old has just decided to stop pooping. He hasnt went for 5 days and i think that its stressing me out more than it is him. He's not at all fussy, nor is his belly hard (like the dr. told me to check).
    When this started last week, the dr. told me to try suppositories. I gave him him two about a week and a half ago and he went within 2 hours so i know that he's not impacted...
    Is this first time mom paranoia??

Default Re: 4 month old not pooping

Moving this out of the starting solids thread because I think it got overlooked there...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Hi! I'm not sure I'll be of much help in getting your little one to poo, but my little girl has only gone every 4 or 5 days since birth (actually had one stint of 10 days!). I believe sometimes they just use up most of what they're taking in. If your little one isn't fussy or their belly isn't hard, I'd say just keep an eye out and relax, they may just be growing!

Post Re: 4 month old not pooping

Are you nursing him as well as the cereal and juice? (or FF?)

I'm thinking that the cereal is probably causing some constipation. The iron in it is less easily absorbed by LO's body than the iron in your breast milk. Your LO is still young, so you might take out all "extras" altogether and just stick with breast milk/formula for another month or two?

ETA: it's also common for fully breastfed babies to go awhile without pooping... but that is generally if breastmilk is the only thing they are getting. Since you're also giving cereal, I'd be considering that more as the cause.

Also I wouldn't recommend the karo or juice or suppositories... just not necessary; just try taking him of cereal for awhile. Your breastmilk is all your LO needs!
    Last edited by @llli*ayas.mama; April 13th, 2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Constipation has to do with consistency, not frequency. If the stools are soft but infrequent, and not assoc w/ pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

My son routinely went every 7-8 days at that age, and that was before starting solids.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

[QUOTE=@llli*ayas.mama;1120307]Are you nursing him as well as the cereal and juice? (or FF?)

I'm thinking that the cereal is probably causing some constipation. The iron in it is less easily absorbed by LO's body than the iron in your breast milk. Your LO is still young, so you might take out all "extras" altogether and just stick with breast milk/formula for another month or two?

ETA: it's also common for fully breastfed babies to go awhile without pooping... but that is generally if breastmilk is the only thing they are getting. Since you're also giving cereal, I'd be considering that more as the cause.

Also I wouldn't recommend the karo or juice or suppositories... just not necessary; just try taking him of cereal for awhile. Your breastmilk is all your LO needs![/QU
    Ditto! Sounds like your LO is too young for all of the extras. My 3 month old only goes 1-2 times every week to 10 days but he's only breastfed.
    Katie (5/06) weaned around 38 months
    Mary (1/09) weaned at 23 months
    Jack (1/1/11) nurses like a champ!

Our midwife mentioned to us early on that it's not uncommon and can be perfectly healthy for an EBF of over a few weeks of age to poop as little as once a week. As it is, many LO's start to move less frequently as they get into solids (more bulk, less frequently). If your LO is not experiencing discomfort or other ill-effects, there's likely nothing to worry about.